macOS Big Sur - Multiple Display "Recovery"

I've found something thing macOS Big Sur broke - the "recovery" after changing display sources. Let me explain...

I have one big 4K monitor, connected to both my Mac (USB-C) and my PC (HDMI). I switch between the two sources on the monitor depending on what I'm doing. Each computer also has its own dedicated monitor (built-in for my Macbook, an old external for my PC).

Prior to macOS Big Sur, if I switched to the PC input on the monitor, all the macOS windows would shift over to the built-in laptop display, and then shift back to their correct window once I switched back. They no longer do that.

The application all stay on the laptop screen and the big screen is empty when I switch the source back on the monitor. I then have to move everything back to the big display.

I guess that's better than the PC behavior where even if you switch the source on the display back to the Mac, Windows still thinks its connected and continues to extend the display (the fix for that is to go to display properties and select "only show on display 2") , but thats a whole other gripe.

Has anyone else experienced this as well? Is there a setting I'm missing? Should I file a bug report?
  • I am just as frustrated. Brand new Samsung monitor and it is not working on Big Sur 11.4. Black border on each side. Same monitor works great on a Catalina Machine. @apple please fix this.

• I have a problem with my second monitor connected to HDMI on Mac Mini M1. Before the update of 11.4, it was working perfectly. I just recently updated the OS and now it takes time for my mac mini to detect the second monitor. Sometimes, I have to remove the HDMI cable and connect it again for the display to work again.

Please @apple fix this problem.

• Same issue! After I upgraded my Mac, my hi-res HTMI-connected Samsung monitor streaked and blipped. The windows also jumped around when it would wake up. I had to unplug the Samsung and now it's worthless and collecting dust. I plugged in an old monitor with a VGA cable and the dock and menu still do not work on the second monitor. Luckily, I have not upgraded at home. ...I use three monitors there. I'm a graphic designer. I NEED multiple monitors. Apple, FIX THIS MESS!!!

Replies

Oops my fix didn't work overnight. It reverted to the same issue again!
Since update to big sur arrangement is s**t working with a display link docking... Nothing is working to keep my arrangement settings saved. After a lock of the screen my displays are randomly arranged. Very annoying...

Is there a solution to this?

Even https://github.com/jakehilborn/displayplacer is not working...
Confirmed Fix!

System Preferences -> Display -> HDMI Monitor -> Color -> Calibrate... -> Click through all the dialogs, Done!
I can confirm the fix works for me, thanks for the great tip!

System Preferences -> Display -> HDMI Monitor -> Color -> Calibrate... -> Click through all the dialogs, Done!

Hi, I used displaylink.com/downloads/macos and downloaded the software program for big sur. It redirected me to my security settings. I allowed displaylink to look at my apples location and settings at all times. After clicking done, I was able to to reconnect the same setup I had before the update! hope this helps! feel free to reach out.
I'm also experiencing this bug. If you unplug an external display and then plug it back in, none of your apps’ windows (which were on the external display’s Space beforehand) are visible or where they used to be. Usually for me, the external monitor’s Space appears completely empty.

There's a Reddit thread about it here reddit.com/r/apple/comments/ka3wz9/videodemonstrationofhowbigsurforgets_where

Good luck guys, and please fix this Apple!
Another confirmation that this fix does work! Running 2019 MBP hooked up to an LG 27UD88-W via USB-C.

I have filled another ticket with Apple - please do it also we are loosing time and money with this one so we need a fix asap ticket number --> FB8939826
I'm happy to report my MacBook Pro 15 (2018) has stopped messing with my windows since the upgrade to Big Sur 11.1.
I can also confirm that this is fixed in 11.1 (MacBook Pro 2018).

...it was so annoying!
fixed with the latest Big Sur 1.1 for me.
M1 mini with 2 x 27 inch displays (1 x HDMI, 1 using USB-C to HDMI adapter), running well now and no longer randomly messing up the display order and scaling after restart/ rewake from sleep.
MacBook Pro 16" 2019, after the last update i'm experiencing serious issues with my external monitor. I have two attached, the Dell U3417W has no issues, the BenQ SW271 is having issues. res is 1920x1080 (but it is a 4k monitor).

Sometimes it works good, mostly not after the last BigSur update this week :-( (directly after the update i noticed that the monitor arrangement was messed up also).

If i detach the Dell monitor, the BenQ is getting the right res. again.
Having issue with LG 35**75C-B monitor via USB-C cable. HDMI works but when I plugged USB-C in, not works.

Same issue, BigSur 11.1. Two monitors LG