There is any sort of guarantee from apple that apple won't delete the discussions (especially answers to questions) in this forum as long as apple is a company?

Hi,

I like the idea of an apple forum to get the relevant software engineering and app building questions and answers here more than on stackoverflow, but I want to make sure apple is dedicated to ensuring that the discussions on this forum stay available to the public as long as apple is a company.

Basically want to make sure apple doesn't do anything ridiculous such as deleting these forums simply because of a new CEO or similar company changes.

Has apple guaranteed to make sure all the questions and answers and discussions in this forum stay open to the public for as long as apple is a company?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

Has apple guaranteed to make sure all the questions and answers and discussions in this forum stay open to the public for as long as apple is a company? 

No.

In fact, this is the third iteration of the developer forums, that I know of. The entire content of both previous forums is now gone.

this is the third iteration of the developer forums, that I know of.

That’s true [1].

The entire content of both previous forums is now gone.

But that’s not. We lost content during the transition from iteration 1 to iteration 2, but that’s because iteration 1 was private. Since we’ve made DevForums world readable in iteration 2, we’ve not lost content.

Just for grins I tracked down my first post to the iteration 2 DevForums. You can find it on this thread. In the process, I also found the earliest link I have to a post on iteration 2, and that link still works!

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

[1] Well, depending on how you count things it could be considered the fourth or fifth, but I’m happy to go with your numbering.

Oh, as this came up elsewhere I wanted to point out one caveat…

Historically, when I linked to a locked thread I would often link to the first post on that thread. Those links did not survive the transition from iteration 2 to iteration 3 of DevForums (r. 64589574). There’s no sign of that being fixed, alas )-:

The content is still there but, in this specific case, the link is broken. In most cases you can work around this by searching for the thread’s title. In places where I’ve noticed, I’ve gone back and updated such links.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"