RealityConverter beta 3 loses skin binding - FBX to USDZ

When I import the robot.fbx file into reality converter found in the Apple developer documentation found here:

https://developer.apple.com/sample-code/ar/Biped-Robot.zip

If I bring the .fbx version into RealityConverter, export it to USDZ and bring the USDZ file into Xcode 12 beta or any version below, the usdz robot character loses its skin bindings and the mesh has no skeleton attached.

Has anyone experienced this?
Have you been able to successfully convert an FBX rigged model to an USDZ model with all bones connected?

I have tried this using Reality Converter beta 3
I did not edit the FBX robot character provided with Apples documentation sample.
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of sdhingra89 Down vote post of sdhingra89
1.7k views

Replies

I've also discovered this recently. I've also found that RealityConverter does export all the skeleton animations correctly when the input file is a .GLB or .GLTF. So I've been using the most recent releases of Cheetah3D or Blender to import the .FBX, then export to .GLB then use RealityConverter to export to .USDZ. Not very convenient for lots of models, but at least it seems to work.

Same here. Model is rigged and skin weighted. When converting the model from fbx to USDZ using Reality Converter.. it breaks the binding. You can confirm this by importing the resulting .usdz model into Xcode, then moving the bones (they're all broken).

** Converting and using .fbx animations is working fine but that's not what we're looking for.