34" Display not recognises full resolution in Big Sur

Hi There,

I just bought a IIYAMA G-MASTER GB3461WQSU-B1 which has a native resolution of 3440x1440 but my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) doesn't recognise the monitor and I can't run it at its full resolution. It is currently recognised as a PL3461WQ 34.5-inch (2560 x 1440).

Is there anything that I can do to get it sorted or I will have to wait until this monitor driver is added to the Big Sur list?

Thanks

Replies

I also just bought the iiyama ProLite 34” XUB3493WQSU-B1 intended to be driven at 3440 x 1440. I have the 13-inch Early 2015 running Catalina, and the same problem (I think). Monitor showing as PL3493WQ with a max resolution of 2560x1440.

Any ideas?
SwitchResX was the solution for me in the end. I got it working at 3440 x 1440 @ 30Hz

Perhaps I will ask Apple to pay the £15 bill to make up for the lack of flexibility in the OS :-/
Exact same monitor (IIYAMA G-MASTER GB3461WQSU-B1) and problem and can confirm SwitchResX works but its unable to push past 60hz. This is with official USB-C AV adapter and a good high bandwidth HDMI 2.0 cable.

Monitor also recognised incorrectly as PL3493WQ.

Im going to try a UBS-C to DisplayPort cable and report back if it helps.
FIXED IT! I tried instead of the official AV adapter, a high bandwidth USB-C to DisplayPort cable. This worked instantly with full res at 120hz. I got the "WARRKY USB-C To DisplayPort" cable on Amazon UK but im sure any high bandwidth one will work.
Same problem here. Got the "iiyama ProLite XUB3493WQSU-B1" today and can't see the full resolution of 3440 x 1440 in the settings. I will try the "WARRKY USB-C To DisplayPort" cable mentioned by @Adamscybot and report back if it worked out.
I'm also having the same issue. Monitor also recognised incorrectly as PL3493WQ.

Did anyone else try the USB-C to DisplayPort? Before I buy one!

Struggling to set up SwitchResX to work correctly...
Short update: the “WARRKY USB-C To DisplayPort” cable did the job for me. Display is recognized correctly and I can go up to 3440x1440 at 75Hz. Seems that my USB-C to HDMI adapter was the bottleneck.
  • Update*

Warky USB-C to Display port cable also fixed the issue for me. Now runs fine and recognises the 3440x1440p resolution, needs fair bit of colour calibration for it to match the Macbook pro though!
The SwitchResX messes things even more. But switching to some 'noname' DisplayPort to usbC cable fix that issues.

Same issue on 34" Viewsonic VA3456 using HDMI on Mac Mini 2014 with Big Sur 11.6 and Catalina 10.5.7.

By trial and error I got it to work with SwitchResX using 3440x1440@50Hz. Even if I entered 50Hz, SwitchResX was changing it to 45 or 30. So, I had to try multiple times. Using other frequencies other than 50Hz messed up my display (blurry lines) that I had to use recovery to delete /Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/ as mentioned in the SwitchResX FAQ.

Same issue with MacBook Pro 2016 (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) and VX3418-2KPC. Warrky USB-C to DP worked like a charm.

It is unbelievable, it is not the OS, is just a matter of having the right HDMI cable. The one shipped with the display is not enough.

My Gigabyte G34WQC A came with a DVI cable and a HDMI with the following text printed along the cord:

High Speed HDMI™ Cable with Ethernet

But I got a High-Speed HDMI (Data Transfer Rate300 Megabits Per Second) with the following printed on it:

HIGH-DEFINITION MULTIMEDIA INTERFACE DIGITAL AUDIO VIDEO INTERCONNECT E213967 AWM 20276 80°C 30V VW-1 HDMI CABLE It worked like a charm.

I hope that helps.

Hi there,

You might have better luck asking this question over in Apple Support Communities run by Apple Support.

I had the same issue with my MSI curved 34" monitor. I recently downloaded EasyRes from the App Store for free and that seems to have sorted my issue. https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/easyres/id688211836?mt=12