[Apple Watch] Unable to Check for Update - Not connected to the internet error

Hi. I am pairing my Apple Watch Series 5 to my iPhone running ios 14. The pairing is successful but unable to proceed with the set up because an update is needed to be downloaded first. I updated the os for watch but I keep on getting “Unable to Check for Update - Checking for a software update failed because you are not connected to the internet”. I am definitely connected to the internet.

Watch was reset to factory defaults and I am now pairing it as a new device but it fails due to the issue mentioned above.
  • I solved this issue by uninstalling the Watch app from my iphone and reloading it. After reloading the app I paired the watch to the phone and the update started loading.

• I will say one thing today was a frustrating day trying to get the watch to pair for a few hours. Finally I have success. My fix is the same as many but it took only one try when I changed the Country and Language. I decided to use language Portuguese, and country Afghanistan. It worked. so mad I could not see straight. But success, hope it works for you. It will.

• Apple Watch 3, iPhone 11Pro w/ iOS 14.6 - nothing works to update the watch and make it a usable device, it's basically a dud now. I've tried resetting the iPhone and trying to update the watch in different language. No dice!

Accepted Reply

Hard resetting iPhone fixed this issue.

Steps are:
  1. Press Volume Up and let go.

2. Press Volume Down and let go.

3. Press and hold the side button.

Note: This does not wipe any data from your phone
  • This didn't work for me.

• Same issue here. Reset series 3 Apple Watch to factory settings and tried to pair with iPhone X on iOS 14.6 and no matter what I do, I get the not connected to internet error when I am most definitely online.

restart, reset, reinstalling watch, changing languages, changing region- none of that worked. Very frustrating!

• @Patcwin thanks, that worked for me

Replies

I did try resetting phone and erasing all content on apple watch - did not work.
I also tried signing out of iCloud and signing back in - did not work.
I tried forgetting internet, reset router - did not work.
I went into settings and changed my region from United States (where I live) to somewhere else (Canada) - tried to pair and it worked!
I had the same issue with my Apple Watch serials 5 and finally fixed it by the guide here: wipelock.com/phone-tips/apple-watch-unable-check-update/
[2021] Top 10 Solutions for Apple Watch Unable to Check for Update (wipelock.com)
What I did to fix mine (after resetting my phone still gave me the error code), I took my watch off the charger, turned it off, then just set it back on the charger. After it came back to the setup screen, I paired it again and it started updating. Not sure if this will help for everyone, but that's what did it for me.
Changing region from United States to Canada worked for me after trying all the other options. Strange that Apple hasn't fixed this bug with a known issue that so many experience.
After trying all the suggestions, the last one I read was about low power mode. Turned low power mode off and instantly allowed the update to begin !!
  • This worked for me too! Spent hours today and tried everything listed in here and other forums and kept getting the stupid error message when trying to update that I wasn’t connected to the internet, which I definitely was! Once I turned on Low Power mode, bam! Started updating! ***?!

Add a Comment
Put the watch on, and unlock it. Then check for update.....
I tried everything here. And the only thing that worked was changing my Region from US to Canada. The Update started as soon as I did this.
I tried everything. Reseted the watch several times as described above. Restored the iphone to factory defaults several times (a brand new phone, i had no data to lose). Reseted the wifi network in my house. Tried with my neighbors wifi network. More than 5 hours of trying dozens of solutions. Nothing.
Finilly i changed the region and the language on the phone (i live in Spain, changed it to English and region Canada). I couldn't freaking beleive it, it started updating right away. So simple and so weird.
This has just worked for me and my Apple Watch series 3.
Updated the software using a old iPhone 6 watch app that had not been updated I think it had iOS 7 .Then turned that phone off.I then paired as normal with my iPhone 8 iOS 14 watch app and it worked I don’t know how or why but I’m happy.Good luck
I had this issue too where the hard reset did not help. I then went into settings on my watch and was able to initiate the download form there. You will be prompted to accept terms and conditions on your phone. From there you just follow the normal instructions.
Following steps really helped me in fixing this issue. Thank you for posting this solution.

Hard reset apple watch > when the apple logo shows hold down the button next to the crown and hold for 30 seconds > select erase all settings and content.
After watch resets > power down the watch do not hard reset, move the power slider to the right you might have to put in your wrist to do that and then put it back on the charger.
On your iPhone sign out of iCloud completely > go to settings > general > scroll down > shut down iphone (do not hard reset)
Power up Watch and then your iPhone > sign into iCloud/AppleID
Start the pairing process > it should say your watch is now paired > select update > it will give you the update error again saying no internet but let it sit for a minute > boom it will start updating the watch. Headache is GONE hopefully!
Hope this works for everyone because after trying everything these are the steps that I took you might have to try a few times but mine worked the very first try.
I found another way to fix this was to change my wifi from a 5 GHz to a 2.4 GHz network.
  • This is the one that worked for me - so silly

Add a Comment
Sadly the suggestions here have not fixed this for me. I have a brand new iPhone 12 mini, trying to pair with an Apple Watch Series 1. Hard reseting both iPhone and watch results in the same "Unable to check for update" error message loop. I have internet access, and have confirmed all the other sanity checks from the Watch support page.

Can someone from Apple please escalate this case to the development team, pretty please! :) thanks
I've also tried changing the region to Canada, on both iPhone and Watch, but I still see the same error loop.