[Apple Watch] Unable to Check for Update - Not connected to the internet error

Hi. I am pairing my Apple Watch Series 5 to my iPhone running ios 14. The pairing is successful but unable to proceed with the set up because an update is needed to be downloaded first. I updated the os for watch but I keep on getting “Unable to Check for Update - Checking for a software update failed because you are not connected to the internet”. I am definitely connected to the internet.

Watch was reset to factory defaults and I am now pairing it as a new device but it fails due to the issue mentioned above.
  • I solved this issue by uninstalling the Watch app from my iphone and reloading it. After reloading the app I paired the watch to the phone and the update started loading.

• I will say one thing today was a frustrating day trying to get the watch to pair for a few hours. Finally I have success. My fix is the same as many but it took only one try when I changed the Country and Language. I decided to use language Portuguese, and country Afghanistan. It worked. so mad I could not see straight. But success, hope it works for you. It will.

• Apple Watch 3, iPhone 11Pro w/ iOS 14.6 - nothing works to update the watch and make it a usable device, it's basically a dud now. I've tried resetting the iPhone and trying to update the watch in different language. No dice!

Accepted Reply

Hard resetting iPhone fixed this issue.

Steps are:
  1. Press Volume Up and let go.

2. Press Volume Down and let go.

3. Press and hold the side button.

Note: This does not wipe any data from your phone
  • This didn't work for me.

• Same issue here. Reset series 3 Apple Watch to factory settings and tried to pair with iPhone X on iOS 14.6 and no matter what I do, I get the not connected to internet error when I am most definitely online.

restart, reset, reinstalling watch, changing languages, changing region- none of that worked. Very frustrating!

• @Patcwin thanks, that worked for me

Replies

I tried absolutely everything to get my watch to pair and I was about at my wits end; but all I had to do was change my region to Canada on my phone and watch and it started to update. Such a pain! Hope it works for all of you as well.
  • THANK YOU! I see how people thank BEEM335i, but this really did not help in my case. I guess there are different issues. I tried all the other instructions for multiple times but this changing region to Canada helped. This is so ridiculous... Thank you, I hope it helps someone else.

Add a Comment
Setup Manually works for me!
  • apple watch 2

• iPhone 12 pro

THANK YOU BEEM335i. I have been scouring the web for a solution to this problem, I was about to give up when I found this post. You're a hero
Tried heisenbert’s, Beemi335i’s, and AmartinV’s solution and none of these work for me. Has this issue been resolved by Apple?
FIXED - issue with ‘not connected to internet’ error
  1. Hard reset watch.

2. On phone ‘Reset Network Settings’ — General > Reset > Reset Network Settings (This appears to be the fix)

3. Hard reset phone

4. Start pairing process as usual

-Updating series 2 watch to 7.7 was nearly 4 hours, be patient
-Simply hard resetting as mentioned in a prior fix did not solve the issue, only after ‘reset network settings’ did I finally get past the not connected to the internet error.
*note - I also turned off second line using DualSim, not sure if this matters

I have finally resolved the issue... none of the advised steps resolves the issue but i would say i probably ran into an edge case...
i was on an USA cellphone service provider while on Canadian soil with App Store canada account and that apparently caused the issue (and yes connecting to wifi did not fix the download-update issue).

For me it was rather a tricky and funny fix...
  • tried to pair the apple watch with a different iphone on Canadian network.

• update of the watch OS worked this time

• quit after finishing update

• tried to pair with the previous phone once again and this time pairing process went directly to the next step without asking for update and pairing worked.

Try this! It took me 2 days and I tried everything possible but the solution for me was so unbelievably simple:
  1. Switch off screen lock on your iPhone.

2. Wipe Apple Watch.

3. start pairing process from scratch.

4. go ahead with updates.

5. DONT USE YOUR IPHONE FOR ANYTHING ELSE!!!

It took me two full cycles to complete successfully as the first time I said download all apps and nothing responded.

second time around worked like a dream.

tbh the 2 days before removing screen lock, I’d tried almost ten times, getting stuck on an error about internet access which was incorrect.

good luck, hope this helps.
Love how everyone has different solutions to all this. Obviously there’s no exact solution, it’s just when your Apple Watch decides to participate with you. Apple please fix this problem, I’m not gonna just buy a new one like you want us all too.
  • ⬆️This!!

I've spent a dozen hours trying many of the solutions to the "no internet connection" problem proposed in this forum, trying to pair an AW S3 with an iPhone 12 on iOS 16. What worked for me in the end was the one suggested by @mucholucho (ie. use an old iPhone). But TBH it's impossible for me to know whether other preliminary steps were also required (the old iPhone was also on a 2.4GHz Wifi network).

So many independent variables! One thing for sure– pairing is VERY temperamental.

Add a Comment
I was able to fix this!!!

I have used every trick on this thread for the past few months with no luck, and I finally stumbled upon a woman who said she just turned off her cellular data and made sure she was running off of just wifi and it worked!! Both are updating!

And my watch is a series 1 and I have an iPhone 11 But yeah! Hope it helps!
  • This worked for me too!! after 2 weeks of frustrating, doing all the possible things. Thank you so much. What a bug!! and Apple did nothing, with thouthands of messages over the internet. Sure a little software glitch.

• Exactly the same worked for me, turned off data (just data, not Airplane mode) and left Wi-Fi connected. Watch = Series 5 & iPhone 12

• Thank you Psychedelicfurz!!!

I tried everything solution from all of these answers and still had no luck, but I discovered a fix that worked for me!

I reset the watch to factory settings with a hard reset, then when prompted to pair the watch to my Iphone, I turned on airplane mode (while connected to wifi) and the the Iphone almost immediately began the update as normal.

Hope this helps!
  • THANK YOU makomatt!! Airplane Mode did it for me. :)

• Airplane mode with wifi did nothing

• Thanks makomatt, turned on airplane mode, then turned on wifi on phone and it started updating right away.

Add a Comment
If you read this, please do not wipe your watch, I have better solution, go to setting in your watch and software update there. That is it, iphone will show update right away!
Setting the language to English > United States did the trick for me!
Advm301 I was getting very frustrated so I changed the Country on the watch and paired manually. I didn’t expect that to work but there’s a different screen now and it’s saying it’s downloading so THANK YOU! Weirdest fix EVER!
I've been trying to fix this watch on and off for almost two years. Even the Apple Store couldn't fix this for me. They said it was likely a hardware failure and recommended that I just but a new one. "The cost to repair will be about SGD$365 and the cost of a new SE model is around $415, so it's only $50 more to get a new one that will have a one year warranty."

But a combination of suggestions above worked for me. I hope it works for you, too.

Details of my devices:
  • Series 3 38mm watch

• iPhone 7 plus

Steps that worked for me:

A: Make sure your phone has the latest version of iOS. This will be needed since the phone OS needs to be current to support the newest version of WatchOS which will be installed by the phone.

B: Hard reset the phone (my main phone is an iPhone 12 Pro, but I have an old iPhone 7 Plus I was able to use. I don't know if the solution is specific to devices.)
  • Press and hold both the volume down button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.

• When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

C: Hard reset the watch
  • Turn off the watch completely from the side button below the digital crown.

• Turn it back on, and when you see the Apple logo, press and hold the same button for 30+ seconds until it tells you you're about to wipe all contents from the Apple Watch.

D: Start the pairing process.
I've seen some say to use the manual process where you enter the code. Mine worked just by placing the two devices close to each other and following on-screen instructions.

NOTE: This entire process took HOURS to complete. My WiFi is very fast, but maybe it was the fact that the devices are older. It took about 3 hours to get through the downloading/preparing/installing phases, and then it actually stuck at the verifying stage overnight. I finally just pulled the watch from the charge and restarted it, and it was paired at that point and worked just fine!

I got the same error after trying to pair a series 3 following a factory reset of the watch. Unfortunately, the iPhone hard reset didn’t work, but after days of trying to figure it out, I finally got somewhere.

All I had to do was remove all backups under Settings>General>iPhone Storage>Watch.

No more error after that!😃