[Apple Watch] Unable to Check for Update - Not connected to the internet error

Hi. I am pairing my Apple Watch Series 5 to my iPhone running ios 14. The pairing is successful but unable to proceed with the set up because an update is needed to be downloaded first. I updated the os for watch but I keep on getting “Unable to Check for Update - Checking for a software update failed because you are not connected to the internet”. I am definitely connected to the internet.

Watch was reset to factory defaults and I am now pairing it as a new device but it fails due to the issue mentioned above.
  • I solved this issue by uninstalling the Watch app from my iphone and reloading it. After reloading the app I paired the watch to the phone and the update started loading.

• I will say one thing today was a frustrating day trying to get the watch to pair for a few hours. Finally I have success. My fix is the same as many but it took only one try when I changed the Country and Language. I decided to use language Portuguese, and country Afghanistan. It worked. so mad I could not see straight. But success, hope it works for you. It will.

• Apple Watch 3, iPhone 11Pro w/ iOS 14.6 - nothing works to update the watch and make it a usable device, it's basically a dud now. I've tried resetting the iPhone and trying to update the watch in different language. No dice!

Accepted Reply

Hard resetting iPhone fixed this issue.

Steps are:
  1. Press Volume Up and let go.

2. Press Volume Down and let go.

3. Press and hold the side button.

Note: This does not wipe any data from your phone
  • This didn't work for me.

• Same issue here. Reset series 3 Apple Watch to factory settings and tried to pair with iPhone X on iOS 14.6 and no matter what I do, I get the not connected to internet error when I am most definitely online.

restart, reset, reinstalling watch, changing languages, changing region- none of that worked. Very frustrating!

• @Patcwin thanks, that worked for me

Replies

Hi. I was trying to pair a brand new series 3 to iPhone 12 with iOS 14.6. My problem was solved by following these steps.

1. make sure both devices are charging.
  2. general > redefine > redefine network

I spent a lot of time on this and try all, the methods mentioned (changing language and country, hard resetting the watch, the phone the network, using 2.4 Ghz wi-fi, logging off and on iCloud on my phone, updating in low battery mode, airplane on of and leaving the watch on charger for a night, using spare clean iPhone 6Plus for pairing, and many else I do not even remember now). Finally I went into my phone's current wi-fi settings and changed the DNS (settings ->wi-fi ->currently used wi-fi name scrolled down to DNS and changed automatic to manual and set it to cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1) after saving the changes and restarting the pairing process again the phone immediately found an update and started downloading.

Hope it helps some of you

• Tried this, sadly didn't work for me

• Hello there. I am also having same frustrations. I am with you until you say to change cloudfare's 1.1.1.1 AND 1.0.0.1 - I'm not sure I understand what to do with the second set of numbers. Thx.

Add a Comment

For anyone still looking at this in 2021, I have spent hours today with this error constantly looping back. After trying all the suggested fixes on this forum.

weirdly enough I clicked on the change language option, set to UK (which it was already on)

it then gave me a option to pair the device, once paired this time it continued to download the update for the OS

hope this helps anyone, I would recommend trying all fixes on this page including this one. As different fixes have worked for different people

• Thank you for posting. I had the same story, (Series 3 w/ iPhone 12 Max Pro). This fix worked for me. I tried everything else on this forum, was about to give up.

Add a Comment

Beem335i's answer worked for me as well! Thank you!!

Make sure your watch is on the charger before you pair/check for update. The update will not start if the watch is not on the charger. Try restarting phone and watch, and then (once the watch is on the charger) pair and select update. It should begin the update.

No idea how this worked, but I turned on and off airplane mode like 5 times, after this, it connected to the internet. Hope this helps someone nothing else here worked for me.

Before I start; I by no means mean that the other possible solutions listed are not correct or that they work or not, I will share with you what has been working with me with several times with different watches and phones (a total of 13 successful fixes of this problem).

• Try to install, once you get the “Unable to Check for Update - Checking blah blah blah", stop and unpair your watch.
  • Uninstall the "Watch" app from the iPhone and restart it.
  • Install the App again and pair watch.

The update should proceed with any inconvenient.

Hope this helps, have a good one.

I had the same issue. I was able to solve the issue by obtaining an old iPhone and attempting pair with that iPhone.

After attempting to pair with old iPhone, I unpaired it. Turn the old iPhone off. Then paired with current iPhone that had previous issues. Before pairing make sure to reset Apple Watch. As soon as I went to pair the “minutes remaining” screen popped on screen and download complete. goodluck

turn off Bluetooth on your iPhone. It will force the update vía wifi

Add a Comment

Hey guys, this issue had been driving me crazy for months on my Apple Watch Series 3 and I tried all of the other solutions on these pages, but they didn't work. Finally, I found out that all I had to do was go to Settings > Bluetooth and then forget my Apple Watch connection(Do this by tapping on the "i" symbol). My IPhone then created a new connection with my Apple Watch and then it started updating. I really hope this solves your Apple Watch update issue!

Same here, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14.6, new setupApple Watch series 4 WiFi and cellular, can’t get past the update required stage as not connected to internet. Hard reset phone, reset network settings, reset watch, nothing works so it’s basically useless. It’s ridiculous the setup of a new watch won’t let you just set it up with whatever software level it’s at then update afterwards

hello, I solved this issue by smashing my apple watch and not buying an apple watch ever again. So im gonna buy a simple fit band and throw my apple watch which I PAYED with my HARD EARNED money and which apple decided to DISABLE with these tricks. So long my dear apple watch.

Tried Avery thing mentioned here, and tried from another phone still no success. Anyone have a solution to this problem?

I have an iPhone 11 with the 14.6 iOS and could not pair my series 3 watch because the phone said it could not connect to the internet. Called Apple and the tech did a lot of troubleshooting and finally said the watch was bad and had to be sent in for repair.

FIX!- I was able to pair it on another iPhone 8 that had iOS 14.6 AND complete the download. I then unpaired it from the iPhone 8 and paired it to my iPhone 11. No issues. Find a friend with an older model iPhone or use one of your older model phone seems to be a work around.

• ⬆️This!! I've spent a dozen hours trying many of the solutions to the "no internet connection" problem proposed in this forum, trying to pair an AW S3 with an iPhone 12 on iOS 16. What worked for me in the end was this one suggested by @Mucholucho (ie. use an old iPhone). But TBH it's impossible for me to know whether other preliminary steps were also required (the old iPhone was also on a 2.4GHz Wifi network). So many independent variables! One thing for sure– pairing is VERY temperamental.

Add a Comment

Ensure that your watch and phone is charged to at least 50 %. That solved the problem for me.