Can't find Single View Application

Hi,

I just started learning Swift for school projects, I installed XCode 12 on the App Store but now on the tutorials I'm trying to follow they tell me to create a "Single View Application" but on the different templates I have there is no Single View Application.

I tried to chose other templates but when I do that I don't have the same files as the one in the tutorial.

I've tried to look on Internet about single view application for XCode 12 and Swift 5 but didn't find anything.

How can I create a Single View Application with this configuration ?
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of LucasFab Down vote post of LucasFab
13k views
  • you can create it easily , just check this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz8q6JrOPXA

• Hi , Please while creating a new project choose IOS on the top of the dialog , instead of Multiplatform . This is not a problem from Xcode just choose the correct tab . Thanks

Add a Comment

Replies

You should better find an up-to-date tutorial written for Xcode 12.

With choosing iOS > App, you can get a project template similar to Single View App.

I don't have the same files as the one in the tutorial.

If you are using an old tutorial written for older Xcode, you would never get exactly the same files with Xcode 12.

What files are missing? If you choose the right options in new project sheet, you will get practically similar project to Single View app.

If practically is not what you want, you may need an old Xcode for which your tutorial is written.
I chose iOS and then App but I don't have the files like "AppDelegate.swift" or "ViewControler.swift"

The tutorial I'm trying to follow is the one on developer.apple (https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/referencelibrary/GettingStarted/DevelopiOSAppsSwift/BuildABasicUI.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40015214-CH5-SW1)

If you have any idea of a better tutorial for beginner that I should follow I'd like to have the name

I chose iOS and then App

Which options have you chosen?
There are many options in the new project sheet:
  • Interface

• Life cycle

• Language

• Use Core Data

• Host in CloudKit

• Include Test

If you have any idea of a better tutorial for beginner that I should follow I'd like to have the name

I do not follow any tutorials recently, so I do not know which is better.
But at least, you should better not find one from archive, which means the document may not be up-to-date and will not be updated.

Choose App as your project type. Choose Storyboard from the User Interface menu to get a view controller file to follow along with the tutorial. Read the article at the following URL for more detailed information:

swiftdevjournal.com/xcode-11-missing-view-controllers/

Add a Comment
Hi,

Not sure if you're still looking for an answer to your question or not, but I've noticed a lot of people complaining that this template isn't available any longer. I had an old project with only a couple edits I had made to it, I undid those edits and pushed the code up to github as a template. So you can use this if you want: https://github.com/jcross0204/ios-single-view-app-template/tree/master

Let me know if you have any problems with it!

So to sumup the information of the video tutorial https://youtu.be/Yz8q6JrOPXA, in order to create a Single View app, in the create new project window, select “iOS”, then “App”. In the options window, you need to select “UIKit App Delegate” for the option “Life Cycle” instead of the defaut SwiftUI App.

The Interface option remains SwiftUI and thelanguage optionSwift.

Click Next, and you should have you app identical to a Single View app, with all the files you need.

I ran into this same issue. If you choose story board as the interface you should receive the same file outline as past tutorials.

You just need to select "Storyboard" instead of "Swift" after you have selected "App" Since Xcode 12 came out, "Swift" is the default You're welcome)

• Thank you. I really help me( I am using xcode 13.4.1).

Add a Comment