Xcode Errors - [UIFocus] Focus system disabled

Running macOS 11.0.1 (20B29) with Xcode 12.2 (12B45b), with a brand new Xcode project configured as follows
  • File -> New Project -> iOS -> App

• Interface: SwiftUI

• Lifecycle: UIKit App Delegate

• Language: Swift

• Uncheck all checkboxes

• In xcodeproj target, select Mac checkbox

• Run app on Mac

I get the following errors

Code Block
2020-11-26 21:24:42.940494+0000 Test[85254:1719377] [UIFocus] Focus system disabled
2020-11-26 21:24:43.029918+0000 Test[85254:1719377] [UIFocus] Focus system enabled
2020-11-26 21:24:43.606709+0000 Test[85254:1719377] [UIFocus] Focus system disabled

In my actual app, I get a lot more of these - certain interactions like opening a popover can trigger them. If the last message was Focus system enabled, stuff works fine. If the last is Focus system disabled, a load of elements like Toggle and Slider aren't clickable. I couldn't figure out how to get it to end on an enabled state.

I also tested this on my DTK and get the same errors on the 11.1 Big Sur beta with 12.3 Xcode beta.
  • Also having this issue. Buttons with non-default ButtonStyle (ex PlainButtonStyle()) work fine. Regular buttons and navigation links do not work.

Add a Comment

Replies

Have you figured out a solution yet? I seem to have run into the same issue!
Nope. Regular Buttons work, so I replaced literally all controls with imitations based off that element. Switches, Pickers, I even had to replace Sliders with +/- buttons. It's the worst solution, and the UI is way worse now. But it was at least thankfully not too much work for my app, and it made it functional again.
I have this same problem, I'm sure Apple's going to get right on it.
... +1
Facing the same behavior with my macCatalyst document-based app on Bug Sur macOS 11.1 run on Intel processor. Also getting some "Focus system enabled" and many "Focus system disabled" messages.

But even worse after getting the following message: "Did present bridged document browser". Actually did not see that before. Does anyone know what this message is about?
  1. Error: The first "Did present Bridget document browser" message appears when presenting the UIDocumentBrowserViewController, which maybe makes sense. After selecting and loading the document and transitioning to the document controller, the document content appears in the view. All fine. But then immediately the same message appears again and the view with the document disappears (without viewWillDisappear or anything) and the UIDocumentBrowserViewController is shown again. Hence it is not possible to open and update an existing document anymore!

The creation of a new document is still possible and works fine.

2. Error: When opening a document from the Finder (outside the app), a "Save" window appears, which never did before. If you click "Save", it tells you that the file already exists and if you want to replace it. If you click "Replace", the document import fails with the alert message that the document can not be copied, because an item with the same name already exists. Hence it's not possible to open and update an existing document using the same name anymore!

Except for macOS Big Sur 11.1 the app runs fine on all platforms and versions: macOS 10.15.7, iPadOS 14.3, iOS 14.3. Using Xcode 12.3.
I have the same problem with Catalyst: a lot off "Focus system enabled/disabled" in the console. It seems random when the buttons stop working.
Did anybody find workarounds for this ? I have the same problem !
I'm having the same problem [UIFocus] Focus system disabled and lost the touch event on most elements on the screen.
One side note, Buttons with custom style still work as opposed to Button with the default style.

Any update from Apple ?

I am getting this error as well. Buttons work but pushing to another ViewController does not work.

Click the app name next to the simulator/device selector at the top of Xcode. Going to Edit Schemes... and adding Environment Variable OS_ACTIVITY_MODE with value disable seems to get rid of this. Don't know why?

Got this from https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/702600?page=1#717626022