macOS 11 Big Sur breaks ssh-add -s /usr/lib/ssh-keychain.dylib

I am trying to add my smart card PIV cert to ssh-agent.

In macOS 10.15 Catalina, it was as simple as:

Code Block
ssh-add -s /usr/lib/ssh-keychain.dylib

But in macOS 11.1 Big Sur, the ssh-agent debug output says:

Code Block
failed PKCS#11 add of "/usr/lib/ssh-keychain.dylib": realpath: No such file or directory

I am aware that macOS 11 caches system libraries ... but I believe that /usr/lib/ssh-keychain.dylib is in the cache.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

I'm too experiencing keychain breakage since I've just upgraded my Mac from Mojave to BigSur. When I attempt to execute the same simple command
Code Block
ssh-add -s /usr/lib/ssh-keychain.dylib

I get the following error after inputting my PIN:
Code Block
Could not add card "/usr/lib/ssh-keychain.dylib": agent refused operation

After doing some digging, I noticed that the ssh-keychain.dylib file is no longer within the /usr/lib path. Is this to be expected via BigSur?

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

The new path may be: /usr/local/lib/pkcs11/cackey.dylib

Note: While the above allowed me to add the card with my PIN, it added 41 identities, so no matter what I tried to SSH to, it failed too many times. So maybe that is not the correct new path.

I ended up going here: https://github.com/kenh/keychain-pkcs11/releases

Downloading the old keychain and using that and it worked great.

Still broken in 11.2.1 ... :(
Apple, can you answer this question as we need this functionality at the command prompt level in our federal government for some system integrations and testing. Thanks.

Apple, can you answer this question

DevForums is not an official Apple support channel. Moreover, its focus is on code-level questions, and there’s no third-party code involved here. My advice:
  • Regardless of what else you do, file a bug report about this. Please post your bug number, just for the record.

• If want to discuss this with your peers, bounce on over to Apple Support Communities.

• If you want formal support from Apple, talk to Apple Support. While I’m not familiar with all of their programmes and policies, my understanding is that they do have paid-for support options that cover this sort of thing.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"
I filed FB8965034 for this on Jan 8th.
Still broken in 11.2.3 ...

However, Apple tells me that the bug has been identified and corrected .. .and will be fixed within the next OS update or two ...
Thanks for the update @jrnphd. Like everyone, I was sure hoping that this issue would be addressed via 11.2.3. Extremely disappointing that it didn't.
Fixed in 11.4

Hello, I updated to MacOS Big Sur 11.4 and I can't access with my ssh publickey anything anymore.

Instead I get back:

Permission denied (publickey).

This happened to me today.

Anything about that?

Use Apple's macOS default ssh-add command. ssh-add installed by macports, homebrew, etc. do not work.

% which ssh-add
/usr/local/bin/ssh-add

% ssh-add -K ~/.ssh/id_*******
Enter PIN for authenticator:
Provider "internal" returned failure -1
Unable to load resident keys: invalid format

% where ssh-add
/usr/local/bin/ssh-add
/usr/bin/ssh-add

% /usr/bin/ssh-add -K ~/.ssh/id_*******
Enter passphrase for /Users/*******/.ssh/id_*******:
Identity added: /Users/*******/.ssh/id_******* (user@email.com)

It appears that /usr/lib/ssh-keychain.dylib is now present and working in 11.6.

• Now with Monterey 12.2.1 I'm getting:

$ ssh-add -s /usr/lib/ssh-keychain.dylib Enter passphrase for PKCS#11: Could not add card "/usr/lib/ssh-keychain.dylib": agent refused operation $ ls -l /usr/lib/ssh-keychain.dylib -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 284784 Feb 6 14:22 /usr/lib/ssh-keychain.dylib
  • Nevermind - operator error.

Add a Comment