ODBC in Big Sur

What happened to ODBC in Big Sur. If it no longer exists, what has replaced it? I'm a long time DBA and I have a longer history on Windows and Linux than Mac OS.

Replies

ODBC hasn't been used, or noticed, on macOS in at least a decade. You can still build and install the open-source ODBC libraries. But I don't know if there is any Mac software that would know about it.
Wondering if you've made any discoveries here.

I finally upgraded a machine to Big Sur in spite of all the negative things I've heard (many of which look to be true so far) so I can test some software for a client who is also running Big Sur.

It looks like the ODBC Manager (comes with Actual Technologies drivers) kinda works.

It looks like iODBC also kinda works.

I was able to get a DSN configured that will work with FileMaker 18 and 19, BUT now that I've configured it, neither of them will allow me to actually edit or change the DSN in any way. I can't even delete it and create a new one.

• +1 here. I've been surfing directories for an hour looking for a conf file to delete after accidentally typing [return] preemptively... I'll check back when I find where it is.

• Not sure why this didn't jump out before... User DSN's for my system (10.15.7) are in: ~Library/ODBC/odbc.ini *System DSN's for my system are in: ~/System/Volumes/Data/Library/ODBC/odbc.ini

More importantly, both "iODBC Administrator" from iODBC and "ODBC Manager" from Actual Technologies are unable to modify settings to the user DSN I had entered.

Also, their logging settings do modify the odbc.ini file... but only to delete the information there & cannot append or replace the file paths. So... not a file permission issue that I can think of.

My conclusion: the managers don't work. Back to Vim.

Add a Comment
iODBC is used as well as ODBC Manger on Mac in place of ODBC Administrator. The bigger problem is getting ODBC drivers. In spite of what one poster has said, ODBC is still used on Macs to connect to all types of databases.

I have used ODBC Manager along with Actual Technologies drivers to connect to a Postgres DB. Seems to work OK.

@cjkirchberg I was wondering if you know of reliable place to download either iODBC or the ODBC Manager. Also, a good place to get the ODBC drivers for macOS Big Sur and going forward. I appreciate any help you can offer.

@jeffowen75 did you ever get a place to download the ODBC Manager?

This seems to be a good place to download an ODBC Manager from: https://www.odbcmanager.net/about.php