"Provisioning profile does not allow this device." Mac mini M1

Created a provisioning profile for a Mac mini M1, copied the Hardware UUID from the system report, used some Name (does the name have to match something?)
Then when downloading the provisioning profile, it reports the error "Provisioning profile does not allow this device."
This is Big Sur 11.1 on Mac mini Apple Silicon/M1.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of erwincoumans Down vote post of erwincoumans
9.3k views

Replies

Had the same problem then i found this:
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode/distributing_your_app_to_registered_devices

Collect Device Identifiers: macOS
To find the device ID for your Mac:
Choose Apple menu > About this Mac.

Click System Report.
Select Hardware to see the Hardware Overview; the UI displays the device ID as Hardware UUID (in macOS 10.15 and earlier) >> or Provisioning UDID (in macOS 11.0 and later). <<
Highlight the Hardware UUID or Provisioning UDID to copy it.

It looks like you need Provisioning UDID in this version and device.
Hi,

I just ran into the same issue. But this does not fix my problem it seems...
  • Automatic signing keeps telling me that my current selected device (M1/Silicon chip) is not included.

• So I tried manual signing doing what the link is saying

• I added a new device: MACOS type and using the provisioning UUID (and not the Hardware ID).

• So I can create a provisioning profile properly including the MAC into it.

• However, when trying to use it in XCode, I still receive the same message (Provisioning profile does not include the device).

Problem is that the identifier that is shown in this error message is actually the Hardware ID, not the Provisioning ID.
  • So at the end, it seems XCode wants the Hardware UUID but the provisioning profile only wants the Provisioning UUID. So they never match...

Any idea?

So at the end, it seems XCode wants the Hardware UUID but the provisioning profile only wants the Provisioning UUID. So they never match...

That is the problem.

Really wired is that when adding a device in the developer account and Platform macOS is selected it says:

Name your device and enter its Unique Device Identifier (UDID).

but the description on the form says:

Device ID (UUID)

I resolved this with the following steps, but I dontt know if all of them have to be done:
  • deleted all Dev Certs from the mac

• deleted all Provisioning Profiles from the mac

• deleted the Provisioning Profile from the Account

Added the device 3x times
  • 1x with UUID as mac

• 1x with UDID as mac

• 1x with UDID as iOS

Created a new profile with select all devices. (should be 2 for mac Development)

Now Xcode says the profile includes 2 devices and everything works on my M1 Mac mini :)

This really sucked, I struggled with this for two days. :( But maybe it is because this is my first time working with a mac...

• I did all these steps but no luck. It works when clicking the build button in Xcode, but it doesn't work when run it in command Line. T T It doesn't work even with automatically signing, or profile generated by automatically signing.

Add a Comment

any luck with this?

it works. key point is: register mac as iOS device with provisioning ID, and uncheck "open with Rosetta" for Xcode

Xcode/Apple should allow that the automatic provisioning profile includes Mac devices because with manual provisioning profile you can do it (and the error "provisioning profile does not allow this device" does not appear anymore).

"open without Rosetta" is not a solution, more a hack. It's like saying don't use automatic provisioning profile but manual to fix the bug.

You have do uncheck "open with Rosetta", then it should work

Here is what worked for me.

1. Quit Xcode
  2. Uncheck "open with Rosetta" for Xcode
  3. Run Xcode again and run the project.
  4. Grab the device identifier from build error ( This will be different from the error that appeared with Rosetta option checked and I think thats the main thing)
  5. Add that identifier to devices. Edit provisioning profile and refresh that profile in Xcode
  6. Run the code again and its working now.

Happy coding day :)

You can use this command to get UDID

system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | awk '/Provisioning/{print $NF}'

Then need register this UDID at the developer.apple.com portal as mac and iPod.

It works for me.