Accessibility evaluation (WCAG 2.1)

What constitutes a truly accessible web map requires extensive user research, however as can be seen in the Web map tools WCAG 2.1 evaluation (presented by Nic Chan at the 2020 W3C/OGC Joint Workshop Series on Maps for the Web) there are quite a few opportunities to improve accessibility in the UI of MapKit maps that would immediately benefit the end-user.

In the evaluation report I have deliberately not included any techniques sufficient to pass a particular Success Criterion for brevity, however I am hopeful to see efforts to improve the state of accessibility in MapKit maps!

Thanks.

Accepted Reply

Thank you so much for the information.

Replies

Thank you so much for the information.
It is worthy to point out though the report is not testing the latest MapKit JS version. If the report can be updated it will be even more helpful.
Re-evaluating the implemented MapKit map as implemented here: maps4html.org/HTML-Map-Element-UseCases-Requirements/examples/create-map.html#mapkit-js (this forum doesn't allow me to properly link to this URL) which uses the latest MAJOR version 5 as described in Loading the Latest or a Specific Version of MapKit JS I can confirm that the report is up-to-date in terms of MapKit's WCAG 2.1 conformance.
OTOH the new map type picker's radio buttons (<div class="mk-map-type-button-control ...">) are marked up as role="radio", but they do not behave as standard <input type="radio"> in terms of keyboard operability. They can be tabbed to using the Tab key but native radio buttons are navigated to (and automatically checked upon navigation) using the arrow keys. This discrepancy can be confusing to users. See https://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-practices/#radiobutton for more information.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned in the report (I was mostly trying to get a broad sense of common issues) is that MapKit stands out in that buttons (<button> or role="button") can only be activated using the Space key, whereas other tools' buttons activate on Enter. The recommended keyboard interactions for buttons is that they should activate on both Enter and Space.

Thank you for taking your time.