Guideline 3.1.4 rejection

Hello all,

I have an app that has been rejected due to Guideline 3.1.4 and I don't know how to get around it.

The app is essentially a QR scanner for the construction industry that scans QR codes created by a plugin for design software. The app user can use the service completely free with no log in required. Once the QR code is scanned the app returns a result there are no features locked to the app user.

The response form the review board is;

Your app enables additional features or functionality when used with augmented reality markers or QR codes. However, those features are not available in the app to users without the necessary markers.

Next Steps
To resolve this issue, please provide a means to access these features from within the app, such as through achievements or in-app purchase. If they can be freely obtained, such as through a link to a website, please revise your app to include clear instructions for obtaining the necessary markers or codes.

Which to me seems illogical because if the app user doesn't have a drawing with a QR code on it they don't need to use the app or know of its existence to find the result another way.

The app user and the plugin user are two completely different entities and the app user would never be able to create or obtain the QR codes from the app without a drawing. The typical scenario would be the Architect would produce the drawings and add the QR code and give the drawings to the builder who would scan the QR code with the app to get a result.

I am struggling to see how this differs to a generic QR scanner that is scanning a code on the side of a can of coke.

Any assistance or advise would be appreciated.

Replies

I am getting the same thing with Augmented Reality at Historical Sites.

App doesn't cost anything. But it is location-based, so if you are not there it doesn't work.

Not sure how Apple or it's customers are hurt by this.