R painfully slow on Air M1 - Big Sur

I have bought a new Air with M1 Chip last week. It is Big Sur version 11.2.3.

My code on RStudio is extremely slow, it takes around 7 minutes on this new laptop. I have tried to use R (rather than RStudio), and the same happens. I've checked it with my sister's Air (MacOS Mojave 10.14.6), and it takes only seconds to run the same code.

What would be the reason that my 1-week-old laptop is very slow to run the R code? And what would be the solutions?

Any help is so appreciated!
  • I have the same issue. When I used the docker on the new MacBook Pro, my R loading data was really slow.

• did you solve this? running into the same issue now

• OK turns out I just installed the wrong version of R - you need to make sure your version is compatible with the mac's chip. Re-installed the correct version and it's much faster than my old machine

Add a Comment

Replies

God I'm having the same exact problem. It's painful, frustrating and distressing!

Can someone, please, provide an insight why my new Mac that is presumably extremely efficient for very demanding computational jobs can't efficiently open a script or indeed properly run any routines in R?

I recommend that you escalate this via the support channel for R itself.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Hi , I have been using R 4.1 and 4.1.2 without issues, and performing faster than a 6-core Windows system. This was on my M1 Macbook, but I have found no issues in my new 14" MacBook Pro. Can you explain what does "slow" mean for you?

R is native, but RStudio is still not native, which means to use Tensorflow with R it needs to be done outside of the RStudio environment, as an example.

Standing by to assist, Luis

Hi, I have been using R studio 2022.07.2 Build 576 on my MBA M1 (MacOS Ventura). All was good when I started the data cleaning project on the 1.23 gb dataset. Suddenly, everything has slowed down painfully. It takes a good 10+ minutes to simply ingest a dataset.

I believe at this point, R studio is native for M1, so I have no clue what has happened an more importantly how to solve it.

Please help.

-Jawwad