How do I get 'checking null' to finish?

I was trying to install Mac OS Big Sur, but it has been on 'checking null'. I can't restart my computer or anything.....
What am I supposed to do??
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Martha31 Down vote post of Martha31
21k views
  • i was going to return my mac and followed tutorials to wipe my info and suspect i wiped a too much because i havent been able to update since. i tried clearing the user settings but im still stuck on checking "(null)"...

Add a Comment

Replies

Did you try to:
Shut down your Mac,
then turn it on and immediately press these four keys simultaneously: Option, Command, P, and R.
Hold them down for about 20 seconds.

This operation clears the user settings from memory and restores some security features that may have been changed.

See details here:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063
and
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8642800

Have the same problem. Tried this. Do not help. I try to instal Monterey. Now I have high sierra on my MacBook Pro.

Add a Comment

I have been having the same issue for the past 24 hours. Spoken to 3 different representatives and the still has not been resolved. I have MacOS High Sierra on my Macbook Air 2017. I am trying to download to the Monterrey software, but my laptop won't even let me install it. It keeps showing Checking "null". Even when I tried installing Big Surr, it doesn't work. Please tell me there is a solution for this!

• I have same trouble now

• I fixed this issue, you can contact me at my WhatsApp for solution WhatsApp me on 03480435820. 100 percent solution.

• I am having the same trouble. The update/install is stuck on checking "null"

Add a Comment

Stuck on Mojave with the checking (null) issue as well. Spoken with multiple reps, tried all of the recommended fixes. Still not able to update my OS. Anyone found a solution yet?

• Same issue here, with a Late 2014 MacMini

• Same problem too, with a 2017 MacBook Pro 13'

• I fixed this issue, you can contact me at my WhatsApp for solution WhatsApp me on 03480435820. 100 percent solution.

Add a Comment

Also got the same issue on 2 macbook pros when trying to update to Monterey - need a solution ASAP!

Add a Comment

same. I wiped my computer and can't install Monterey 2017 MacBook Air. High Sierra 10.13.6 is as high as I got. Monterey was installed before I wiped it.

• I had the same issue. MacBook Pro (Mid 2015). I had High Sierra for years, updated to Monterey, it was fine. Then I bought a new MacBook Pro, was wiping this one (Mid 2015) MacBook Pro, and upon attempting the Monterey install this time it just freezes on the "NULL" screen.

Add a Comment

Same. I've been working on this for 3 days now. 2017 MacBook Air was loaded with Monterey, wiped, then will only successfully re-install High Sierra. Trying to load Big Sur. Haven't tried anything in between.

• I did those same steps as well, but seem to not be able to get past the searching "null"

Add a Comment

I fixed the issue:

The problem: the hard drive got renamed during the reformatting.

The fix:

• shut down. If unable, hold down power button for 5 seconds.
  • Start it back up and press Command + R until you see the apple logo.
  • Select Disk Utility
  • Select the topmost item on the left side panel
  • Click on the Name field on the right side, and rename it to Macintosh HD.
  • Now click erase icon.
  • A pop up window will appear to create a new thing with the name as Macintosh HD, and whatever in the second field.
  • Click yes/ok
  • After its done, exit Disk utility
  • Now select Reinstall OSX
  • After its done, Go to App store and search MacOS Monterey or whichever
  • When you click Get, it will install through the Software Update utility
  • What do you mean the topmost item on the left hand side? This item which says 'Update' does not give the option to update

• Thanks - renaming the HDD worked for me.

thanks , worked for me

• It worked well than any other methods

Add a Comment

I have been having this same issue. Rather than try all of the above - open the applications folder, drag and drop Monterey to the trash. Open up the App Store and download Monterey that way. Took me 10 mins!

I got a solution that worked!!! if you are on high sierra or mojave, firsr install catalina by searching catalina installer and you will get a apple site link. Click catalina installer and you will be redirected to app store. Install catalina first and then you can install big sur or monterey without this null error

Restart your mac book/pc then press all three buttons at the same time Option-Command-R before you can see the apple logo. It will then ask you to upgrade it to the latest version (monterey) as of the moment. Make sure that you’re files we’re backed up first before doing this. This worked for me :)

Save all your data as you will lose it. Use the OPTION-COMMAND-R as soon as you have pressed the start button and before the Apple Logo appears. The 4 option menu will come up and chose restore - it will then do a new installation with the current macOS (Monterey) on your selected volume (usually Macintosh HD) but you can chose any if you have more than one (ideal for test environments).

I got this issue fixed !!

I tried multiple times to quit it but we can't quit it from the terminal ( as we need to kill the OS Monterey process ) but when we do the ps -ax. It will not show the os process running.

1. After trying from there click on the apple icon on top left and use force quit ( check if the process is available ) kill all the process from there.

2. Move the application of OS file to the trash

3. You are good to go for shut down and then check for update utility again

DONE DONE DONE

I fixed this issue, you can contact me at my WhatsApp for solution WhatsApp me on 03480435820. 100 percent solution.