Disable Activity Start Drop-Down Toast Notifications?

I have an app that plays a series of on-demand videos in succession in an AVQueuePlayer. These clips are all quite short, most less than 30 seconds.

I'd like to use a SharePlay activity to play them in sync across a group, but it seems like using an activity per content item will result in the toast notification coming on-screen between each video clip.

This is nice for long-form content, but would quickly be maddening watching 15-30 second clips.

Is there any delegate or other API available to disable these activity startup bubbles that appear from the top of the screen?

Replies

Hi!

In the Build custom experiences with Group Activities session we covered 2 ways of updating the activity for your user.

You can either:

1. Create a new GroupSession
  2. update the activity on your existing GroupSession.

When using option #2 the toast notification won't be presented.

If you have any suggestions on how the experience could be improved there please file some feedback on the Feedback app!

Thanks, Adam.

What I see from my code and the GroupWatching sample code from the Coordinate media experiences with Group Activities is the opposite.

That sample code (which is what I based my implementation from) creates a single GroupSession, and updates the activity on it to include a new 'Movie' object when the playback changes.

This causes a "Started " toast notification to pop down each time, even though the two devices stay in the same session and the associated activity is what's changing.

As another attempt, I tried to change the activity metadata type to .generic instead of .watchtogether.

My hope was that I could still update the activity and replace AVPlayer currentItem, but doing that seems to cause the AVPlayerCoordinator to stop syncing playback rate and time, even when then items have matching URLs. Still investigating this solution.

I've written this up in the Feedback app as FB9161062