XBox One Wireless Controller reported as GCMicroGamepad on Mojave

I've run into a weird problem trying to use an XBox One Wireless gamepad via the GameController SDK. The controller works fine on two different Macs running Big Sur (and previously worked under Catalina), but is reported as a GCMicroGamepad on an iMac running Mojave.

I can't seem to find a list of devices supported by the GameController framework, but I assumed the XBox One controller was a safe bet. Is this device not supported on the older OS?

Accepted Reply

Hi @dwn

GameController framework support for Microsoft Xbox and Sony DualShock game controllers arrived in macOS Catalina (10.15). Prior to macOS Catalina, only MFi game controllers were supported by the GameController framework.

Replies

Hi @dwn,

I'm having the same issue with my Late 2012 iMac running Catalina. My Xbox One Wireless Controller only seems to support the micro gamepad profile.

Did you find a solution or workaround for this?

• Unfortunately no. My only solution was to essentially use a sledgehammer and disable all game controller support pre-catalina. Even though the API is available none of the commonly used hardware seems to be correctly identified before Catalina, and some things aren't fully supported until Big Sur.

Add a Comment

Hi @dwn

GameController framework support for Microsoft Xbox and Sony DualShock game controllers arrived in macOS Catalina (10.15). Prior to macOS Catalina, only MFi game controllers were supported by the GameController framework.