Mission Control sometimes stops working

Sometimes, pressing the Mission Control button on the keyboard or clicking the Mission Control app icon the in the launchpad won’t open the Mission Control interface, while control+up arrow and clicking the Mission Control shortcut in the dock always works.

Hi, has anyone encountered the same issue? It's been bugging me for a while and I'm on the latest Monterey developer beta.

If you don't mind watching a screen recording of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvkHwGbbLVE

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of jkjk9801 Down vote post of jkjk9801
19k views
  • You mean F3 key or ctrl-up key ? When did you first notice the problem ? Never encountered the problem, on BigSur (not Monterrey). But on MBPro with touchBar, fn-F3 does not work, only control-up or Mission Control icon. Did you check your system Preferences (Mission Control section) ?

• ctrl-up works, f3 not I'm using an external keyboard. The problems occurs only in Monterey.

• By the way: This problem still persists as of December 2021 on Monterey. Never hat this issue with Big Sur. For me the problem is only occurring with my Logitech MX Master mouse and the thumb button linked to Mission Control. CTRL + UP as well as FN + F3 still work.

After waiting some minutes or starting some apps it starts working again.

Replies

Same here with Monterey 12.1 and mx vertical mouse under bluetooth, with scroller click mapped to mission control. It just works randomly, maybe can do well for 10 clicks in a row and then stops suddenly. also tried to update Logitech firmware but the Logi's tool can't find the mouse, even if its plugged in or with the receiver...

Same here. MBPro 14" 2021 M1Max OS12.2. Three finger salute; ^up, nothing works except restart of computer. It will work for a few hours, then stop. I also have the trackpad tap not working most of the time. Control and Shift tap takes at least three taps to stick. Control/C, Control/V, Control/Any key won't work unless C, V, Any key is pressed at least three times.

I believe it's software since Monterey. It happened on my 2018 MBPro after Monterey and I thought the awful butterfly trackpad/keyboard was toast so I bought new computer.

• I'm on an identical setup to you and also having this issue.

Add a Comment

I have a similar problem with Expose after upgrade from 12.1 to 12.2 on MBP 14" M1Max. Just stops working. Very annoying, considering to roll back via Time Machine until fixed.

• Having the exact same problem on my school computer which I have updated to 12.2 . Its bloomin annoying because I cant be sneaky and play games.

Add a Comment

Just stumbled on the same issue, mission control just dies. The ^up no longer works and the 3 finger swipe up also does not work, annoying. Monterey 12.2 Apple M1 Max.

• Same problem on 2015 MacBook pro. 2.7ghx i5

Add a Comment

I have the same issue. I am using logitech K380 keyboard and logitec M337 moue on MacBook Pro M1. Mission control works randomly on both, does not work always.

Add a Me2 - App Exposé, Mission Control. Not via Swipe, nor button, nor keyboard.

MBP 14" Pro M1 Monterey 12.2.1

I have the same issue. I am using logitech K380 keyboard and logitec MX3 Master mouse on MacBook Pro M1. Mission control works randomly on both.

killall Dock

will work around this issue

• True! Worked immediately.

• The two-finger Magic Mouse tap was not opening up mission control for me - it just mysteriously stopped working not long after I upgraded to macOS Monterrey 12.2.1 on my MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021).

This workaround, using "killall Dock" did work for me without having to reboot.

This may be ok as a temporary workaround but there is an underlying issue that Apple still needs to address. We shouldn't have to "killall Dock" to get it working again.

• That worked! Saved me from restarting. Thank you. I hope Apple fixes this soon.

I have an mx keys and I found an alternative that is working fine. In the logi option app I changed the f3/mission control key, by keystroke assiignment and assign the ctl + up. Hope to help users of logitech mx keys and the like

The issue remains with macOS 12.3.1 (21E258) Monterey on Intel x86 iMac 27-inch Retina 5K display 4.2 GHz (iMac18,3; mid 2017). Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad & Magic Mouse 2.

The issue arises only after booting. Then:

Dock NOT showing - LIkewise opened applications (Command Tab) or show-hide Dock (Option Command D) or Mission Control-Exposé (F3) or LaunchPad+Dock (F4).

Fixed rebooting or forcing Quit Dock (lonly process) in Activity Monitor then showing Dock and also two Dock Extra processes. Once fixed, it does not arise again until after the next boot (arises about 50% of the times).

"Apple - System Preferences - Dock & Menu Bar - Dock - Automatically hide and show the dock" is selected.

Same problem here on brand new Mac. MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Apple M1 Pro. Monterey 12.3.1.

Hallo zusammen, unter Sicherheit & Datenschutz --> Eingabeüberwachung --> Logi Options freischalten

+1 - Just started happening.

Pressing Ctrl - UP does nothing.

The hotkey is enabled in the Mission Control settings.

+1 Monterey 12.4 Apple M1 Max. It lasts a couple of minutes and then works again. With and without external mouse. No keyboard shortcuts for Misison control works either.

Same issue here!