Unable to drag+drop crash file to Xcode for symbolication

According to Apple's documentation, one of the ways to symbolicate a crash file is to drag+drop the file (with .crash extension) to an attached device window in xcode. I've been doing this for years up to this point as well, so I know it's a proven method.

Lately, however, I've been unable to drag and drop those crash files at all. If I attempt to do it, the .crash file will just "bounce" back to Finder.

Things I've tried:

• Changing file extension to .ips, .txt, and .crash.
  • Two different devices, one iOS 15 RC (iphone 11 pro max) and one iOS 14.6 (iPad Pro).
  • Two different macs, one intel and one m1
  • Xcode 12.5.1 and Xcode 13 RC

None of these combinations worked, which makes me wonder if there was a change in Big Sur that would cause this issue.

I've been doing this for years without issue, and it's only recently (past few months) where I've been running into this issue. Any advice would be very appreciated.

Accepted Reply

Are these crash report in JSON format? If so, see this post.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• @eskimo thanks for the link. It seems the drag+drop is a known bug which is good to hear.

Are the json-style crash formats also a bug or is that how they're all going to look from now on?

Add a Comment

Replies

I have exactly the same issue....

Are these crash report in JSON format? If so, see this post.

Share and Enjoy

• @eskimo thanks for the link. It seems the drag+drop is a known bug which is good to hear.

Are the json-style crash formats also a bug or is that how they're all going to look from now on?

Add a Comment

Are the json-style crash formats … how they're all going to look from now on?

That’s definitely our future direction. There’s an increasing number of automated crash report processing systems — both at Apple and by third parties — so it makes sense for the reports to be in a machine-readable format. The problem here is that getting a human-readable version from the machine readable is not as easy as it should be.

Share and Enjoy

• Appreciate the response. That makes sense

Add a Comment

Same issue