A button vary for traits doesn’t appear in Xcode 13

Hello, when i updated Xcode and it became V13, I can't see " Vary for traits ". what is this problem

Add a Comment

Replies

Found a Reddit thread where this is explained: https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcode/comments/psowtu/vary_for_traits_in_xcode_13/. I personally think this is a terrible solution. Have the Xcode developers ever heard of UX?

The Reddit answer only works for properties. What about constraints? I couldn't figure this out

• Me neither. Getting kind of frustrated with this too.

Add a Comment

This is creating a lot of diffculty in handling constraints for different size classes.

• Advice to all: post bug reports.

Add a Comment

I agree with you. Xcode 13 brings changes to the UI that are not reflected in the Xcode 13 Help documentation. This is frustrating. Apple, move your technical writers in the same room as the Xcode developers.

What is even more frustrating are constant changes to Swift. Like their developers never heard of requirements -> design -> implementation -> testing -> maintenance pipeline. There are tons of Swift examples that are obsolete simply because of changes to Swift. Please, stop breaking my existing code.

This is totally enraging. I'm trying to tweak layouts that have been working PERFECTLY for almost a year. A change meant that I removed one button, and now, effectively, the whole thing has to be rebuilt.

Worse, and polite stfu to those who would advocate for code, we develop products with a designer at our elbow. With storyboards, and the old vary for traits, whatever the limitations, I could communicate clearly, and get direction from our designers, to get the looks we want.

In this situation, the original designer is no longer around, so we're trying to recreate what we had from screenshots. It's just absolutely unacceptable. FU, C Suite.

This is completely retrograde. Clearly made without real research into the impact. And it has probably the worst possible implementation I could think of, quite apart from the fact that Apple leaves it to others to document their tragically bad decisions. As my colleague said, "it's like writing css, where the value for each property are stored in card catalogue, in another room".

As it is, we have a whole section of the app with a complex, free-form interface that suits the game we're releasing – or trying to. That's now delayed at least a week, which is going to cost us potentially, well, a lot of money as we miss more of the Christmas season.

I am writing this for the benefit of any Apple Engineers that wander in here, to find out how the plebs in steerage are doing. Fix this. It's insult to injury, when I'm giving you 30% of my earnings.

To all who are still looking for a solution about missing vary for constraints button in Xcode 13, I have created a small YouTube tutorial to explain the way Variations for constraints work in latest Xcode 13.

Missing Vary For Traits Button in Xcode13

https://youtu.be/pZuNhxR_uRg

I hope this will help you to adapt the layout based on different device sizes and the orientation modes. Don't forget to leave a comment on this video and share with others.

Thank you so much. Happy Coding.