Unlock keychain on headless system does not work on BigSur

I am trying to setup a headless machine (no GUI session whatsoever, only SSH) to CI/CD

My pre-build steps is to setup a keychain, but it looks like unlocking the keychain using just a SSH session is not working on macOS 11.6

ec2-user@ip-172-31-40-2 code % security create-keychain -p Passw0rd dev 

ec2-user@ip-172-31-40-2 code % security list-keychain -d user -s dev

ec2-user@ip-172-31-40-2 code % security set-keychain-settings -t 0 dev

security: SecKeychainSetSettings dev: User interaction is not allowed.
ec2-user@ip-172-31-40-2 code % security unlock-keychain -p Passw0rd dev 

ec2-user@ip-172-31-40-2 code % security set-keychain-settings -t 0 dev  

security: SecKeychainSetSettings dev: User interaction is not allowed.
ec2-user@ip-172-31-40-2 code % security import ~/AppleWWDRCA.cer -t cert -k dev -A 

1 certificate imported.
ec2-user@ip-172-31-40-2 code % security import ~/AppleWWDRCAG3.cer  -t cert -k dev -A 

1 certificate imported.
ec2-user@ip-172-31-40-2 code % security import ~/AppleRoot.cer  -t cert -k dev -A 

1 certificate imported.
ec2-user@ip-172-31-40-2 code % security import ~/DevAuthCA.cer  -t cert -k dev -A 

1 certificate imported.
ec2-user@ip-172-31-40-2 code % security import ~/apple_dev_key.p12  -k dev -A   # this is my private key + cert

security: SecKeychainItemImport: User interaction is not allowed.
ec2-user@ip-172-31-40-2 code % security unlock-keychain -p Passw0rd dev              

ec2-user@ip-172-31-40-2 code % security import ~/apple_dev_key.p12  -k dev -A 

security: SecKeychainItemImport: User interaction is not allowed.

When doing the same from agri session, I can see that despite the unlock-keychain command, a GUI prompt is presented to the user to unlock the keychain.

Accepted Reply

The error lies in security set-keychain-settings -t 0 dev

I read somewhere (can not find the source) that -t 0sets the lock timeout to infinite (no timeouts) while the correct way to remove timleouts is to omit the -tparameter at all.

Correct command is security set-keychain-settings dev

Replies

I tried with 10.14.x, 10.15.x and 11.6. They all behave the same. How to unlock a keychain without initiating a GUI session ?

The error lies in security set-keychain-settings -t 0 dev

I read somewhere (can not find the source) that -t 0sets the lock timeout to infinite (no timeouts) while the correct way to remove timleouts is to omit the -tparameter at all.

Correct command is security set-keychain-settings dev