Does CoreLocation already use QZSS or other GNSS in addition to GPS?

According to Apple Documentation it looks like only GPS is used in core location as that is the only requirement in the property list. However, many websites claim that iPhones have support for GNSS and incorporate it into the core location? Does anyone know how to access the satellite signals raw to do our own calculations?

Does anyone have any information on this? If Core Location already incorporates QZSS then I do not have to worry, but if not then I would like to try incorporating it myself.

The only other post I found was 6 months old with no responses, but maybe I can find something here?

Thank

Replies

You said;

it looks like only GPS is used in core location

Apple say (in the Core Location Overview):

The framework gathers data using all available components on the device, including the Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth, magnetometer, barometer, and cellular hardware.

I can't answer your actual question, but I thought it might be helpful to point out that your initial assumption is incorrect.

• I appreciate the response but i was aware the other components were used, i just only mentioned GPS since I am talking about QZSS, a satellite system. The other components I didn't think were worth mentioning in the context of my problem.

Add a Comment

According to the specs on Apple's web site, the iPhone 12 added "GLONASS, Galileo, QZSS, and BeiDou" while earlier models don't list those extra ones. Some news sites say earlier models sold in Japan also had QZSS.

Either way, there's no API to get at the low level data. Core Location is a much higher level abstraction over the hardware.

Bonus fact: If you are plugged into CarPlay, then iOS can use your vehicle's own navigation system data too.

• This is good information for me too. I was aware of the inclusion of support for those systems, but can something really be considered "supported" if it is not used and I have no API to get the low level data? That is why I was looking for a way to access the data, the implication is it should be possible, but I am not able to find how. I am pretty inexperienced with apple so is there a way I could prove definitely that it is not possible? an article or statement from apple. Right now I am unable to find much information one way or the other.

The bonus fact is pretty cool, I will keep that in the back of my mind, but in this use case the phone will be used standalone.

• There is currently no API to get the low level GPS data. You are always welcome to make a suggestion towards your needs at https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting for future consideration.

Add a Comment