how is multicast/mDNS handled with IOS native IKEv2 VPN

In short, I’m curious if multicast traffic (in general) is forwarded via IOS’s native IKEv2 VPN tunnel? (“road warrior”)… More specifically, I'm trying to understand how that may influence mDNS/Bonjour traffic? NOTE: The way that I am framing this discussion is inherently IPv4/IGMP-centric, although if there's a substantive IPv6 difference, that clarification would also be appreciated.

Is there an obvious scenario where mDNS/SSDP/Bonjour name resolution of "something.local” or just “something” (hostname without FQDN) would be resolved on the IP-network associated with the physical ethernet interface / broadcast IP subnet of the end user Apple IOS device (either wifi or LTE), rather than the virtual interface of the VPN?

For instance, if the IOS/BSD kernel processing expressly treats multicast differently from unicast traffic, then it’s conceivable that an IKEv2 tunnel could be established, and yet multicast could be operated in a “split-tunnel” mode where (intentionally, or even due to a race condition) mDNS/bonjour traffic emanates locally, or possibly across all interfaces, regardless of preferred-default route?

I was hoping you would respond to this query with an answer like:

1. The IKEv2 (road Warrior) VPN ensures all traffic, including broadcast + multicast are exclusively routed to the remote VPN endpoint, with no leakage... or
  2. There are known scenarios where multicast or broadcast traffic can operate effectively as a split-tunnel to the unicast traffic routing over the IKEv2 VPN, and if mDNS name resolution is of concern to you, you should review ________ for how to use MDM services to control that.

Thank you!

Replies

VPN interfaces typically do not support multicast and thus are ignored by mDNS. Bonjour can also work over uDNS, that is Wide Area Bonjour, but that’s not widely deployed.

For instance, if the iOS/BSD kernel processing expressly treats multicast differently from unicast traffic

The kernel isn’t part of this equation. The DNS daemon on our platforms, mDNSResponder, specifically targets multicast interfaces. That is, when issuing an mDNS query it doesn’t pass a general multicast request to the kernel, but rather it explicitly sends that request to each appropriate interface.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"