MLCLSTMLayer GPU Issue

Hello! I’m having an issue with retrieving the trained weights from MLCLSTMLayer in ML Compute when training on a GPU. I maintain references to the input-weights, hidden-weights, and biases tensors and use the following code to extract the data post-training:

extension MLCTensor {
	func dataArray<Scalar>(as _: Scalar.Type) throws -> [Scalar] where Scalar: Numeric {
		let count = self.descriptor.shape.reduce(into: 1) { (result, value) in
			result *= value
		}
		var array = [Scalar](repeating: 0, count: count)
		self.synchronizeData() // This *should* copy the latest data from the GPU to memory that’s accessible by the CPU
		_ = try array.withUnsafeMutableBytes { (pointer) in
			guard let data = self.data else {
				throw DataError.uninitialized // A custom error that I declare elsewhere
			}
			data.copyBytes(to: pointer)
		}
		return array
	}
}

The issue is that when I call dataArray(as:) on a weights or biases tensor for an LSTM layer that has been trained on a GPU, the values that it retrieves are the same as they were before training began. For instance, if I initialize the biases all to 0 and then train the LSTM layer on a GPU, the biases values seemingly remain 0 post-training, even though the reported loss values decrease as you would expect.

This issue does not occur when training an LSTM layer on a CPU, and it also does not occur when training a fully-connected layer on a GPU. Since both types of layers work properly on a CPU but only MLCFullyConnectedLayer works properly on a GPU, it seems that the issue is a bug in ML Compute’s GPU implementation of MLCLSTMLayer specifically.

For reference, I’m testing my code on M1 Max.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this an actual bug that I should report in Feedback Assistant?

• I just filed a report in Feedback Assistant: FB9824065

Add a Comment