Xbox One Wireless Controller reported as GCMicroGamepad on Catalina

I'm using an Xbox Wireless Controller Model 1708 (listed as a supported device here) on a Late 2012 iMac running Catalina 10.15.7. The controller connects to the system just fine, but I can't interface with it using the Game Controller framework.

At boot, I query the list of connected controllers and it's always empty--even if I've already connected my controller to the iMac. I can register for the controller connect/disconnect notifications, and they appear to be working. I receive a connect notification for my Xbox controller shortly after booting (not sure why there's a delay...). The problem is that the GCController object for my Xbox controller returns NIL when I query its extended gamepad profile.

How can I query button states if I can't access the extended profile?

I can access the deprecated GCGamepad profile as well as the micro gamepad profile, but neither give me access to the full controller's button state.

I've tried searching for help and I noticed an unanswered question with the same problem here.

How are you all supporting Xbox controllers in your apps? Is it unsupported in Catalina?

Cheers! :)