Xcode 13.3 spits "Requested but did not find extension point with..." on `xcodebuild -list -json`

We use command xcodebuild -list -json to get json and parse it to do further stuff on our CI machine. But since Xcode 13.3 when I run this command in terminal I get

➜  Main git:(export-gsps-while-building-ipa) ✗ xcodebuild -list -json                               

2022-04-08 19:51:18.917 xcodebuild[27576:698981] Requested but did not find extension point with identifier Xcode.IDEKit.ExtensionSentinelHostApplications for extension Xcode.DebuggerFoundation.AppExtensionHosts.watchOS of plug-in com.apple.dt.IDEWatchSupportCore

2022-04-08 19:51:18.918 xcodebuild[27576:698981] Requested but did not find extension point with identifier Xcode.IDEKit.ExtensionPointIdentifierToBundleIdentifier for extension Xcode.DebuggerFoundation.AppExtensionToBundleIdentifierMap.watchOS of plug-in com.apple.dt.IDEWatchSupportCore

{

"project" : {

"configurations" : [

As you can see, the expected output has two warnings ahead and hence this JSON is not parsable.

• I saw the issue after updating Xcode, launching it and updating the command line tools. I restarted my machine (a rarity these days) problem resolved. I suspect the paths are not reloaded after the command line tools are installed so the restart resolved the issue. So less drastic options are re-launching terminal or reloading the environment in he terminal.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

All suggested fixed did not work for me.

As a workaround I added 1>&2 2>/dev/null so the error does not show and parsing the output of -list -json is now working again.

xcrun xcodebuild -quiet -list -json 1>&2 2>/dev/null
  • Actually after reading about STDOUT STDERR on linux I don't see your solution as a workaround. This is the way I should have consumed the command. Btw I don't think we need 1>&2

Add a Comment

Replies

Hi, Open Xcode and install updates. It should help.

• I am not getting any pop up to install updates. Did you mean xcode-select —-install. I tried this does not work. I am on the latest version of Xcode and build tools.

• Thanks. It worked me

• Worked for me.

Hello, this fixed the issue for me:

sudo xcode-select -s /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools
  • That makes flutter not detect the simulator :C

• I faced same issue after following flutter doctor suggestion while using M1 MacBook Pro. While that suggestion made flutter to work, any sub-sequent launch of terminal started throwing similar warnings and also had to wait for longer time. For now I switched to CLI tools (breaking flutter). We might need to wait for a fix from flutter team.

Add a Comment

All suggested fixed did not work for me.

As a workaround I added 1>&2 2>/dev/null so the error does not show and parsing the output of -list -json is now working again.

xcrun xcodebuild -quiet -list -json 1>&2 2>/dev/null
  • Actually after reading about STDOUT STDERR on linux I don't see your solution as a workaround. This is the way I should have consumed the command. Btw I don't think we need 1>&2

Add a Comment

This worked for me:

Remove CommandLineTools

sudo rm -rf /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools

Reinstall CommandLineTools

xcode-select --install

Select CommandLineTools

sudo xcode-select -s /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools
  • I followed this. Now my emulator and phone won't communicate with xcode or flutter

• Thank you. I am finally able to carry on with my work thanks to this solution.

• DON'T DO THIS if you are on a slower internet. It will have to download everything again, which can take hours.

MrtnFbg's answer inspired me to read more about redirections of streams. So I read about Linux STDOUT STDERR. In this specific case when I run this command, there is an output and there are some errors. Since I ran this command on terminal and on terminal the STDOUT and the STDERR is the console itself hence, I was seeing both the json and the errors.

I now don't see an issue with the Xcode 13 or the command itself.

I need to update the way I am consuming this command. Since I am interested only in the output of the command hence it should have been xcodebuild -list -json 2>/dev/null where I am redirecting 2(the error stream) to a file that just eats up whatever it gets(the /dev/null file)

Guys if you're facing this problem on flutter, just remove all your flutter SDk files and download them again. git clone https://github.com/flutter/flutter.git -b stable