Midi issue

When connect Yamaha keyboard to iPad with ipados 15.4.1 or 15.5 beta 1 or 15.5 beta 2 the music app likes korg module pro, cubasis, Camelot Pro crashes. I tried with other midi keyboard like Arturia or Native instruments and Midi works. Reading the forum seems somethink linked with Yamaha keyboard. Until ipados 15.4 all worked fine.

• Clearly this is due to the 15,4 update. I have not tried to work around it with IRig setup or others. I did try usb direct as well as with usb to 5 pin din in out adapter and with camera adapter. No midi going through the usb c on my IPad Pro 12.9. No luck with any of my Roland keys at all. Juno-Gi 61, Juno-DS 88, and FANTOM 7 (Newest Flagship model Updated to newest version). This is outrageous! So long to Apple being the musicians go to OS. I am hoping for a bug fix but it looks like this has been affecting the musician community since the updates inception on March 31st and there is no solution from apple. Does anybody have a better solution that doesn’t involve purchasing a superfluous midi interface that I shouldn’t need?

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

I have an old Yamaha YPG-635 and can confirm that MIDI apps no longer work with my iPad Pro 12.9" after installing 15.4.1. This is also affecting users of our app, Playground Sessions, which depends on system MIDI to follow user playing and provide feedback. As of beta 3 of iPadOS 15.5 (19F5062g), the bug has not been fixed.

• Clearly this is NOT a Yamaha issue. It is happening with all kinds of midi devices. I am going to buy a cable that connects the 5 pin sockets to USB and see if that is recognized. I saw it on the Best Buy website for $24. I will post if that solves anything. I’m angry 😡 with Apple. My electric piano is not a cheap unit. Replacing it just because Apple can’t get their shit together is not an option. This is not one music program that has been affected, it is virtually all of them. My iPad Pro no longer recognizes my midi device. FIX THIS APPLE!!!!!

• @Lizzie61 have you had any luck with the new cable?

Add a Comment

Replies

You should contact Yamaha first…

• With ipaos 15.4 worked. When I updated iPados to 15.4.1 and 15.5.beta 1 and 2 the issue appeared. With PC or older version of ipados works fine. Other Yamaha users have the same problem. This Is a bug introduced with the new version of iPados. If necessary i can give u more details.

• The issue is definitely with the iOS update. My Yamaha MIDI keyboard worked fine in Garageband on my iPad PRO until the automatic iOS update. As a matter of fact, my keyboard still works fine with my other iPad PRO (exact same model), which is still running iOS 14.0.1.

Apple broke the MIDI with iOS 15.4.x

• Arrrrrrgggghhh!

I have an old Yamaha YPG-635 and can confirm that MIDI apps no longer work with my iPad Pro 12.9" after installing 15.4.1. This is also affecting users of our app, Playground Sessions, which depends on system MIDI to follow user playing and provide feedback. As of beta 3 of iPadOS 15.5 (19F5062g), the bug has not been fixed.

• Clearly this is NOT a Yamaha issue. It is happening with all kinds of midi devices. I am going to buy a cable that connects the 5 pin sockets to USB and see if that is recognized. I saw it on the Best Buy website for $24. I will post if that solves anything. I’m angry 😡 with Apple. My electric piano is not a cheap unit. Replacing it just because Apple can’t get their shit together is not an option. This is not one music program that has been affected, it is virtually all of them. My iPad Pro no longer recognizes my midi device. FIX THIS APPLE!!!!!

• @Lizzie61 have you had any luck with the new cable?

Add a Comment

These are the possibilities I tried here.

Cable USB-B to USB-A with Lighting Camera Adapter or USB-B to Lightning (Agvee) Devices iPhone 13, iPhone 8 or iPad Air 2 iOS 15.3.1 work. After iOS 15.4 don’t work.

Cable USB-B to USB-A with USB-C Camera Adapter or USB-B to USB-C (Ugreen) Device iPad Air 4 iOS 15.3.1 works After iOS 15.4 doesn't work.

MIDI DIN to USB-A with USB-C Camera Adapter or lightning Camera Adapter All devices are working. Tried on iPhone 8, 12, iPad Air 2, 3 and 4. All with 15.4.1.

I'm using a DOREMiDi Brand cable. This is the only way I found to use SimplyPiano for while, at least, until Apple fix this problem.

More information here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253771323

I have the same problem. Yamaha MO8 worked fine via usb MIDI since 2010 (iPad 1st gen, iPad 3rd gen, iPad Pro 9.7 and now iPad Pro 12.9 3rd gen) but stopped working since I updated to iPadOS 15.4.1 a few days ago . Music apps like AUM, Korg Gadget… crash when connecting my Yamaha keyboard.

• My Yamaha M08 worked perfectly until iOS 15.4. All of my midi apps freeze, then crash with this update. I was running Pure Synth Platinum for most of my performances. I also have used AudioKit, GeoShred, and a Roli Seaboard clone.... All of these worked without fail, until 15.4.1 I have a genuine camera connection kit from Apple, so it's not because I used a cheap knockoff. I needed to be able to use my setup for my rig at church, so I scrambled and purchased the IRig 5 pin din adapter to get my sounds live. This wasn't a perfect solution either. Sometime my apps will hang on chords and I have to shut the software off and then reinitialize to get it working again. All very frustrating!!!

Add a Comment

I think Apple needs more feedbacks. :-( [https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/)

So ill just chime in here with similar issues; Midi over USB from Yamaha Clavinova piano not working any more. Fingers crossed for fix in coming release

Can't believe that this issues have not been fixed yet :(

Still no luck with iOS/iPadOS 15.6 beta or 16 beta? Btw, I contacted Yamaha and they said they were aware of the issue and had reported it to Apple: https://uk.yamaha.com/en/news_events/04_dtxm12_notice.html

Is Apple also ignoring Yamaha, or is this just not a pressing issue for Apple? Or they just moved on? Yamaha say it's a "temporary inconvenience", so I guess they have some faith.

Im happy to report that midi over USB works again with my Yamaha CLP 340, and the iPad OS 15.6.1 update :)