WeatherKit current data very inaccurate in Canada

Has anyone noticed that the current weather from WeatherKit can be pretty inaccurate? I'm mostly looking at the data for Canadian cities.

The iOS 16 weather app is accurate, so I'm not sure if it is using the same WeatherKit implementation.

For example in Penticton, BC, at one point yesterday the iOS 16 weather app was reporting a North wind at 6km/h, but WeatherKit was reporting 38km/h at 223 degrees(which is West). The weather app's report was accurate to what was observed outside.

I'm using some CLLocation coordinates that are right in the middle of the city, so I'm not sure how the data is that far off what is being reported in the iOS 16 weather app.

Accepted Reply

Just to clarify my above statement. It seems that current weather data is almost always far off from what is actually observed or is displayed in the iOS 16 weather app. I've been monitoring WeatherKit data for the last week and it it almost never even close to reality.

Post marked as downvoted Up vote reply of acorscadden Down vote reply of acorscadden
Post marked as solved

Replies

Just to clarify my above statement. It seems that current weather data is almost always far off from what is actually observed or is displayed in the iOS 16 weather app. I've been monitoring WeatherKit data for the last week and it it almost never even close to reality.

Post marked as downvoted Up vote reply of acorscadden Down vote reply of acorscadden
Post marked as solved

Are you sure WeatherKit doesn’t match the Weather app in the iOS 16 beta? I just tested and got perfect agreement between WeatherKit and the app. Then of course I’m seeing minor disagreement with the iOS 15 Weather app, which is to be expected since the underlying data source is different.

• Hmmm, thanks for the report. What area are you looking at data for? So far I've only been looking at British Columbia.

I just checked right now and at the location I monitor the most, the iOS 16 weather app is reporting a temp of 22 degrees C, with wind at 8km/h from the North. WeatherKit is reporting 18 degrees C, with 8km/h wind with an East direction.

So, the wind direction is off by 90 degrees and the temp is off by 4 degrees C.

• Can you confirm your location coordinates? Penticton is at longitude -119.59, and I see the place in China at the same latitude but longitude of +119.59 currently has weather that sounds like what you are describing.

• Oh wow, I'm an *****! You're right Scott. I was just missing the negative sign on my longitude. I think this explains a lot of the other issues I was having.

Sorry to waste everyone's time and thanks for the replies :)

Add a Comment