Can't use Metal with Times series Modeling (AR-Net)

So I'm trying to follow a tutorial about Times Series Prediction from the tensorflow website : https://www.tensorflow.org/probability/examples/Structural_Time_Series_Modeling_Case_Studies_Atmospheric_CO2_and_Electricity_Demand

And on The 11th block of code (the fitting part I get the following error): UnimplementedError: Could not find compiler for platform METAL: NOT_FOUND: could not find registered compiler for platform METAL -- check target linkage [Op:__inference_run_jitted_minimize_20055]

Is there any solution to this problem ?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Space192 Down vote post of Space192

Replies

Hi @Space192!

Try changing jit_compile=True to jit_compile=False in the appropriate code blocks of the notebook. Currently TF-macos does not support this feature so it'll end up trying to find an XLA_DEVICE to run on which does not exist.

However it is worth noting that now when I was testing the notebook I ran into a GPU hangup with the variational loss optimization that I still need to investigate further. But running on the CPU without the jit_compile works fine for me locally.