WKWebView to go unresponsive and crash in iOS 15

We're having problems in iOS 15.0+ with WKWebView and this assertion:

[assertion] Error acquiring assertion: <Error Domain=RBSServiceErrorDomain Code=1 "target is not running or doesn't have entitlement com.apple.runningboard.assertions.webkit" UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=target is not running or doesn't have entitlement com.apple.runningboard.assertions.webkit}> 

[ProcessSuspension] 0x116004e40 - ProcessAssertion: Failed to acquire RBS assertion 'ConnectionTerminationWatchdog' for process with PID=11505, error: Error Domain=RBSServiceErrorDomain Code=1 "target is not running or doesn't have entitlement com.apple.runningboard.assertions.webkit" UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=target is not running or doesn't have entitlement com.apple.runningboard.assertions.webkit}

No problems for iOS versions < 15, and disabling this feature fixed the issue for us. We are looking to understand if this feature is intended to be enabled as part of iOS 15's official release. Curious if there is any insight available.

• How can Disable that??

I have a lot of problems with that.

Add a Comment

Replies

first ensure background processing and fetch is enabled

ensure all the following actions are called on webview

webView.uiDelegate = self     webView.allowsBackForwardNavigationGestures = true     webView.allowsLinkPreview = true     webView.navigationDelegate = self

then u are good to go

• Doesn't help, at least not in my case. Also allowsBackForwardNavigationGestures and allowsLinkPreview are irrelevant.

Add a Comment

@MrOfu, thank you for the reply and suggestion. Could you explain how and why those settings help with the described error? @Hemalatha1910 did those suggestions fix the problem for you? We are getting the same error, but only when running our iPad app on masOS on Apple Silicon.

MrOfu: I get the same, superfluous warning whenever I close a Webkit window:

[assertion] Error acquiring assertion: <Error Domain=RBSServiceErrorDomain Code=1 "target is not running or doesn't have entitlement com.apple.runningboard.assertions.webkit"

The suggestions to add BackgroundModes and web view.uiDelegate, separately or together had NO effect on this "feature", ie worthless Apple warning.

Got these messages today; I had set webView.navigationDelegate, but not the setting mentioned above. But adding Background fetch and Background Processing capabilities stopped the messages. I didn't need to add Remote Notifications.

Thank you @MrOfu !

Goto MenuBar and find product -> Goto Menu menu -> Scheme -> Edit Scheme -> It comes up with popup -> Select "Run" - -> Select "Arguments" -> Then Environment Variables -> after this click on "+" button set "OS_ACTIVITY_MODE = disable"

Thank you, this did finally help.