Fluid in ARKit or SceneKit

Hi guys, in one of the video of WWDC 21 I saw this spectacular image of a green fluid over the sofa 🛋

i can’t find to much tutorial online, How could be done this? I was looking into the particle system of SceneKit but looks like not doing exactly the same think( is more for smoke and fire) this fluid look more 3D.

what I should look for reproduce this fluid.. thanks Looking for some help to start my research.

Replies

The fluid dynamics simulation stuff is well beyond what Apple provides in SceneKit (or RealityKit). The underlying topic is a deep, deep well of research, with a lot of interesting work, but most of the papers that you'll find are focused on simulations that are MUCH higher fidelity than you'll want (or need) for this kind of example. One paper I found while googling around was http://graphics.cs.cmu.edu/nsp/course/15-464/Fall09/papers/StamFluidforGames.pdf. It might be a worthwhile starting point for digging around and finding other places to read and research.

In any case, I fully expect that you'll need to use Metal directly (or a series of interesting shaders that replicate the effects on the existing mesh). The visual above looks like it's texture painted onto the existing mesh of that room, but I can't tell for sure.

I think this project in particular was not done natively - it was done in Unity.