Payment with CarPlay

Assuming that I have an iOS app which is managing the payment method of the user (e.g. credit card), what is preventing me to build a CarPlay app (e.g. EV charging app) with a button that triggers the payment of the charging station? I mean, what are the advantages that will be introduced with iOS 16 that will allow the payment of gas stations from CarPlay?

Accepted Reply

CarPlay previously added support for apps in the EV Charging category. As you have described, EV Charging apps can provide interactions with the charging station from their CarPlay interface such as initiating payment or stopping the charging session.

The tagged session (WWDC2022-10016) announced support for two new CarPlay app categories: Fueling and Driving Task. Fueling apps are expected to work similarly to EV Charging apps but provide interactions with gas stations instead of charging stations.

Replies

CarPlay previously added support for apps in the EV Charging category. As you have described, EV Charging apps can provide interactions with the charging station from their CarPlay interface such as initiating payment or stopping the charging session.

The tagged session (WWDC2022-10016) announced support for two new CarPlay app categories: Fueling and Driving Task. Fueling apps are expected to work similarly to EV Charging apps but provide interactions with gas stations instead of charging stations.

If user initiate a payment from CarPlay then how user can authenticate details like fingerprint, Face ID, or a PIN code will be from phone for the payment ? and in case of card payment, user need to enter OTP for 3D Securepayment.

Moreover, For car play apps, can we enable 2 entitlement for single app. Like fuel charging and Quick food ordering app. ? Or we need to have a separate app for both ?