iOS 16 beta related crash - UIView UIDebugging Description UIGetCurrentFallbackTraitCollection

We have a handful of users with the iOS16 beta that are reporting app crash on launch. We're seeing this new crash which seemingly only impacts iOS 16 users, but the crash report doesn't seem to indicate a crash point in our app (only OS/system level objects).

In the crash log, the main thread appears to be stuck in a loop with trait collections possibly leading to resource exhaustion/stack overflow, but I can't see where the stack begins within our app at all, everything in the log seems OS level.

UPDATE: Started on 27 July 2022, which is the same release date as iOS 16 Beta 4 (20A5328h) - confirmed all crash reports are for this release of iOS 16 (20A5328h). Bug report logged https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/11079459 .

Screenshot from Organizer and crash report below:

Replies

We are facing the same problem here, with iOS 16 and mostly iPhone SE (1st/2nd gen) and 8. Did you finally find any solution or the origin of this crash? By the way, the link to the Feedback assistant is broken.

• No, but it has stopped now. We didn't do or change anything that I'm aware. Possibly a bug patched in a newer version of iOS 16? Can you update your phones (if an update is available) and confirm if this resolved the issue for you?

• Btw, we were overriding trait collections and have stopped doing this now in iOS 16. Not sure if it is what fixed this problem for us or not. We did this premptively because of some deprecated methods in iOS16 that will break the way we handle orientation.

Add a Comment

the link to the Feedback assistant is broken.

You can only see bug reports that you yourself filed. For more on this, see my Bug Reporting: How and Why? post.

In this case I recommend that you file your own bug report about this, being sure to mention that it might be related to FB11079459.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"