Develop app to enable keyboard shortcuts for other apps

Hi, I'm completely new to developing iOS/iPadOS apps. But I was hoping to develop an app to give some of my favourite apps keyboard shortcut support. Some of these apps would be Youtube, Songsterr and Spotify. Is this possible with the SDK in any way? So far I've found the IPC on iOS is very limited so I don't have high hopes...

Accepted Reply

iPadOS [1] does not provide any infrastructure for an app to add keyboard shortcuts to other apps.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

[1] Well, all our platforms exception macOS, which does have more options in this space.

• Just to clarify the following isn't possible?

Let's say we want to able to change the playback speed on Youtube. I was thinking something like this in terms of architecture:

BLE Keyboard does "increase playback speed shortcut" --> Custom App --> Does something in the background --> Youtube playback speed increases

Add a Comment

Replies

iPadOS [1] does not provide any infrastructure for an app to add keyboard shortcuts to other apps.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

[1] Well, all our platforms exception macOS, which does have more options in this space.

• Just to clarify the following isn't possible?

Let's say we want to able to change the playback speed on Youtube. I was thinking something like this in terms of architecture:

BLE Keyboard does "increase playback speed shortcut" --> Custom App --> Does something in the background --> Youtube playback speed increases

Add a Comment