Does Arkit support development method like Vuforia Area Target?

In my application, I need to use ipad to view a room with virtual objects and effects in it. I can do this with vuforia by scanning the room with area target generator, and put virtual objects and effects into the scanned scene in Unity. I wonder how can I achieve this by Arkit? I have googled but no suggestion found.

Thanks for any help.

Replies

Thanks for you suggestion. In my scenario it’s not easy to use 3D objects detection, because it needs to scan at least 5 planes of the objects. In the room these objects are either nested in the wall or placed by the wall, and some of them are too high, I cannot scan all the planes. If I use only 2D images detection, is it accurate enough to track or position?

You do not necessarily have to scan an object from 5 sides to create an ARReferenceObject for 3D object detection. If a plane is missing, the object will not be detectable from that side, but that doesn't sound like a problem in your case: If the object is very high or placed by the wall, the user won't be able to look at the object from that perspective either. For flat and uniquely textured objects, 2D image detection might work as well; it depends a bit on the type of object you want to track.

Alternatively, if the app is going to be used in a known room, and you know the room won't change, you can also scan the entire room and save it as an ARWorldMap. Before doing so, you can create ARAnchors at any location of interest where you want to add virtual content. In your app, you then set this map as the configuration's initialWorldMap. ARKit will relocalize to that world map and restore the anchors that you've previously placed. Here is a developer sample to check out which explains this approach.

Thanks for your explanation, it’s really useful to me. I think I didn’t get a clear understanding on ARReferenceObject. I’ll read and try the official sample again.