Replace model static entity onto animated model without losing animations / Multiple animations for dynamic assets

Is it possible to replace the model from one ModelEntity onto another ModelEntity without breaking the animations?

I have a ModelEntity object that I would like to apply animations to, but this ModelEntity is dynamically generated without animations. (baseEntity)

So for each animation, I load an individual usdz with using ModelEntity.loadModel (animEntity). I add the animEntity as a child to their parentEntity. Then I add the materials from the baseEntity onto the animEntity.

animEntity.model?.materials = baseMaterials

parentEntity.addChild(animEntity, preservingWorldTransform: false)

This does work, but causes texture / model issues, due to the baseEntity having a completely different mesh than the animEntity.

Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Other implementations I have tried:

1. animEntity.model?.mesh = MeshResource.generate(from: baseModel.mesh.contents)
  2. animEntity.model!.mesh.replace(with: baseEntity.model!.mesh.contents)
  3. animEntity.model?.mesh.replaceAsync(with: baseModel.mesh.contents)
  4. animEntity.components[ModelComponent.self] = baseEntity.components[ModelComponent.self]
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of HunterHarris Down vote post of HunterHarris

Replies

Is it possible to use animations from one model to play on a different model with same skeleton? I know this is possible in SceneKit AR implementation, but I am having a lot of problems doing this in RealityKit. Thanks for any advice.