MacOS Documentation

I am trying to locate the documentation for the MacOS API. I know where all the C++/C libraries are -- I was able to locate them using xcode in the terminal.... but it would be nicer to have actual documentation to use instead of having to comb through a mountain of code for specific functionality.

I've tried digging around developer.apple.com but all I can find is nonsense about swift and frameworks. I'm more interested in system calls.

A quick google search for opcode documentation and all I could find were some opcodes for true type font and nothing else.

Does apple still maintain the C libraries MacOS inherited from Unix and if so where can I find the documentation on it? If not, is there a way to find documentation on system calls outside of loosing sand-sifter on the dam thing and engineering my own?

Also -- Where the hell is the opcode documentation for the M1 processor?

Accepted Reply

Where the hell is the opcode documentation for the M1 processor?

It implements the ARM v8.5-A instruction set, so you need to find the documentation for that at arm.com. Basically ARM v8 will be enough, the differences in the .n variants are unlikely to be important. Having said that, my recent experience with the ARM docs is not brilliant so you might find other unofficial docs with better explanations.

Does apple still maintain the C libraries MacOS inherited from Unix and if so where can I find the documentation on it?

man pages are available. (You might like to refer to POSIX specs as well as Apple's man pages.)

• I see. So most of the system calls should be more or less the same as on linux?

Add a Comment

Replies

Where the hell is the opcode documentation for the M1 processor?

It implements the ARM v8.5-A instruction set, so you need to find the documentation for that at arm.com. Basically ARM v8 will be enough, the differences in the .n variants are unlikely to be important. Having said that, my recent experience with the ARM docs is not brilliant so you might find other unofficial docs with better explanations.

Does apple still maintain the C libraries MacOS inherited from Unix and if so where can I find the documentation on it?

man pages are available. (You might like to refer to POSIX specs as well as Apple's man pages.)

• I see. So most of the system calls should be more or less the same as on linux?

Add a Comment