GPU training hangs with tensorflow-metal 0.5.1

I am training a model using tensorflow-metal 0.5.1. and at one point the training hangs and I have to stop the kernel. It is quite a long training. It starts fine with all 10 available cores running using the GPU as shown by Activity Monitor. After about 20 hours into the training, in one of the core processes the %GPU drops to zero while still showing some CPU activity. In succession after some hours, the same thing happens to another 4 core processes, nevertheless the training continues as it outputs some progress. When the remaining core processes that still use the GPU terminate, the progression output stops. The core processes with no GPU activity still run but they do nothing and the training hangs forever. The only thing left is stopping the kernel from jupyter notebook.
Here is the code to reproduce the problem:

# imports
import pandas as pd
import matplotlib
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

import tensorflow
from tensorflow.keras.models import Sequential
from tensorflow.keras.layers import Dense, Flatten
from tensorflow.keras.layers import Conv2D, MaxPooling2D
from tensorflow.keras.layers import BatchNormalization, Dropout

from sklearn.model_selection import GridSearchCV
from scikeras.wrappers import KerasClassifier
from tensorflow.keras.optimizers import SGD

import numpy

#  pip install extra-keras-datasets first
from extra_keras_datasets import kmnist

# Model configuration
no_classes = 10
validation_split = 0.2

# Load KMNIST dataset
(input_train, target_train), (input_test, target_test) = kmnist.load_data(type='kmnist')

# Shape of the input sets
input_train_shape = input_train.shape
input_test_shape = input_test.shape 

# Keras layer input shape.
input_shape = (input_train_shape[1], input_train_shape[2], 1)

# Reshape the training data to include channels
input_train = input_train.reshape(input_train_shape[0], input_train_shape[1], input_train_shape[2], 1)
input_test = input_test.reshape(input_test_shape[0], input_test_shape[1], input_test_shape[2], 1)

# Parse numbers as floats
input_train = input_train.astype('float32')
input_test = input_test.astype('float32')

# Normalize input data
input_train = input_train / 255
input_test = input_test / 255

# Function to create model
def create_model_SGD(neurons):
    model = Sequential()
    model.add(Conv2D(32, kernel_size = (3, 3), activation = 'relu', input_shape = input_shape, padding = 'same'))
    model.add(BatchNormalization())
    model.add(MaxPooling2D(pool_size = (2, 2)))
    model.add(Conv2D(64, kernel_size = (3, 3), activation = 'relu', padding = 'same'))
    model.add(Conv2D(128, kernel_size = (3, 3), activation = 'relu', padding = 'same'))
    model.add(Conv2D(128, kernel_size = (3, 3), activation = 'relu', padding = 'same'))
    model.add(Flatten())
    model.add(Dense(neurons, activation = 'relu'))
    model.add(Dropout(rate = 0.2))
    model.add(Dense(neurons, activation = 'relu'))
    model.add(Dropout(rate = 0.2))

model.add(Dense(no_classes, activation = 'softmax'))

# compilation of the model

model.compile(loss=tensorflow.keras.losses.sparse_categorical_crossentropy, optimizer='SGD', metrics=['accuracy'])

return model

# fix random seed for reproducibility
seed = 7
tensorflow.random.set_seed(seed)

# create model
model = KerasClassifier(model=create_model_SGD, verbose=0)

# define the grid search parameters
learn_rate = [0.001, 0.01, 0.1]
momentum = [0.0, 0.5, 0.9]
neurons = [256, 512, 1024]
batch_size = [100, 250, 350]
epochs = [10, 25, 50]

param_grid = dict(model__neurons=neurons, optimizer__learning_rate=learn_rate, optimizer__momentum=momentum,
                 batch_size=batch_size, epochs=epochs)

grid = GridSearchCV(estimator=model, param_grid=param_grid, n_jobs=-1, cv=3, verbose=3)

grid_result = grid.fit(input_train, target_train)

Test configurations are:

MacBook Pro M1 Max macOS 12.5.1 tensorflow-deps 2.9 tensorflow-macos 2.9.2 tensorflow-metal 0.5.1

Replies

Hi @gppower

Thanks for reporting the issue and providing the instructions and script to reproduce it. We'll kick off a run to try and reproduce this later today as we are currently having the hang-ups being investigated at a high priority. I'll update here ones we have results.

Add a Comment

Hi, does version 0.6.0 of tensorflow-metal solve this issue?

I am also experiencing these hangs on tensorflow-metal==0.5.1 with tensorflow-macos==2.8.0 and python 3.9.13 installed via the recommended Apple miniforge documentation. I had to downgrade from tensorflow 2.10.0 because Apple’s coremltools hasn’t been updated to support past 2.8.0 yet. I had to downgrade tensorflow-metal as well since the current version crashes on import.

I have a MacBook Pro M1 Max with macOS 12.6. It seems like there should be a set of versions that work together. The basic package versions that need to coexist are tensorflow-deps tensorflow-macos tensorflow-metal and coremltools. I am still looking for something that works.

Those hangs happen also with tensorflow-metal==0.6.0. Anxious for the next version......