Unknown header: 0xb17c0de with "xcodebuild -create-xcframework"

I'm trying to create a XCFramework for a static library that was handed over to us from a vendor (we have C sources and compile it ourselves) that doesn't include Bitcode when checking with otool -l <static_library>.a | grep __LLVM.

Apparently bitcode is stripped by libtool despite using -fembed-bitcode CFLAGS and LDFLAGS. xcodebuild -create-xcframework is failing with the error message:

error: unable to find any architecture information in the binary at '<static_library>.a': Unknown header: 0xb17c0de

0xb17c0de seems like a shorthand for "bitcode" according to posts I've found.

I understand why this fails on Xcode 13 and prior due to the Bitcode requirement, but I'm trying to use Xcode 14 RC to do the same and get the same error message despite Apple now dropping Bitcode support in Xcode 14.

Is there an option I can give xcodebuild -create-xcframework to ignore this bitcode requirement and why is it still a requirement in Xcode 14?

Can I add a bitcode marker after compilation to the .a file to satisfy xcodebuild with some fancy command?

My alternative is to figure out how to get libtool not to drop the bitcode flags, but that seems like working backwards in time and will take me much longer to figure out given the unfamiliar compile setup (automake, cmake, etc.).

@bubblefish - have you ever figured this out? having the same problem :( with both Xcode 13.4.1 and Xcode 14 beta 6

github.com/facebook/facebook-ios-sdk/issues/1501

Disable LTO solve the problem

LTO set NO but still having same issue

Unknown header: 0xb17c0de with "xcodebuild -create-xcframework"

Q