EDR support for images

More and more iOS devices can capture content with high/extended dynamic range (HDR/EDR) now, and even more devices have screens that can display that content properly. Apple also gave us developers the means to correctly display and process this EDR content in our apps on macOS and now also on iOS 16. There are a lot of EDR-related sessions from WWDC 2021 and 2022. However, most of them focus on HDR video but not images—even though Camera captures HDR images by default on many devices. Interestingly, those HDR images seem to use a proprietary format that relies on EXIF metadata and an embedded HDR gain map image for displaying the HDR effect in Photos.

Some observations:

• Only Photos will display those metadata-driven HDR images in their proper brightness range. Files, for instance, does not.
  • Photos will not display other HDR formats like OpenEXR or HEIC with BT.2100-PQ color space in their proper brightness.
  • When using the PHPicker, it will even automatically tone-map the EDR values of OpenEXR images to SDR. The only way to load those images is to request the original image via PHAsset, which requires photo library access.

And here comes my main point: There is no API that enables us developers to load iPhone HDR images (with metadata and gain map) that will decode image + metadata into EDR pixel values. That means we cannot display and edit those images in our app the same way as Photos. There are ways to extract and embed the HDR gain maps from/into images using Image I/O APIs. But we don't know the algorithm used to blend the gain map with the image's SDR pixel values to get the EDR result.

It would be very helpful to know how decoding and encoding from SDR + gain map to HDR and back works. Alternatively (or in addition), it would be great if common image loading APIs like Image I/O and Core Image would provide APIs to load those images into an EDR image representation (16-bit float linear sRGB with extended values, for example) and write EDR images into SDR + gain map images so that they are correctly displayed in Photos.

Thanks for your consideration! We really want to support HDR content in our image editing apps, but without the proper APIs, we can only guess how image HDR works on iOS.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of FrankSchlegel Down vote post of FrankSchlegel
1.7k views
  • I also filed Feedback requests for the Image I/O (FB11512515) and Core Image (FB11512528) APIs, as well as PHPicker improvements (FB9706029).

Add a Comment

Replies

I second FrankSchlegel's request!