Cannot install app from Xcode → ⌚ Ultra (always fails with error)

We're developing an app for the Apple Watch Ultra. Since the watch arrived, however, we are unable to get Xcode to actually install our app onto the watch despite having people rotating trying to make it work (rebooting all devices involved, changing USB cables, etc.) all day long.

The failure mode: When trying to Run the app from Xcode (using ⌘-R or the toolbar button), with the Ultra selected as the destination, one of the three different errors below appears.

We only have one iPhone 13 Pro Max and one Apple Watch Ultra to try this with, so we can't change those. However, we have changed out all the cables, Macs, and rebooted all 3 devices several times. We also tried with Xcode 14.0.1RC (14A400) and the same exact error conditions occurred.

Is this just how it is with Apple Watch development? Has anybody else successfully built and installed anything on Apple Watch Ultra? We eventually gave up trying to install our actual app, and just tried with the default "Watch App" as created by Xcode's wizard. Still can't install.

The only thing I can think to try that we haven't yet is updating to the beta OS and Xcode. But I really would prefer not to use the betas, if it can be avoided.

I'd be interested to hear any ideas to work around or fix this, but also just whether anybody has actually even been able to install anything on this new device. (It has watchOS 9.0.1 already.)

Thanks.

The errors are as follows:

Apple Watch Ultra 2022 has recently restarted. To use Apple Watch Ultra 2022 with Xcode, unlock it and its companion iPhone
Apple Watch Ultra 2022 needs to connect to determine its availability. Check the connection between the device and its companion iPhone, and the connection between the iPhone and Xcode. Both devices may also need to be restarted and unlocked.
The device “Apple Watch Ultra 2022” is not available because there was an error downloading its symbols. Please see the underlying error message for more information.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of axhxrx Down vote post of axhxrx
1.4k views

Replies

Having the exact same issues here, iPhone 13 Pro Max and Apple Watch ultra. Exact same errors. Have tried exact same solutions. Xcode connects to my S7 watch without issue. Sorry I’m not much help, just wanted to let you know it’s not just you.

Thanks for the reply; it's anyway nice to know we're not the only ones suffering this issue. 😅

BTW, as I mentioned in another thread about it:

we finally got it working (just now, at 23:30 Japan time) by... upgrading our Mac to the latest macOS 13 Ventura beta, Xcode to the latest Version 14.1 beta, our development iPhone to the latest iOS 16.1 beta, and installing the latest watchOS 9.1 beta on the Apple Watch Ultra we are trying to install onto. 😓

However, in that thread, somebody else posted a screenshot of the same error, but the screenshot showed they were using the latest betas, and were still getting the error. So, YMMV, I guess.... 😞 Oh wait, that person in the other thread is you!

Well yeah, sorry I don't have much to add other than that since I just installed the Ventura OS tonight, I had to re-setup Xcode from scratch and Xcode automatically re-downloaded my account status, re-generated the automatic signing certificates, etc. I doubt it is related but... I mean maybe since it seems to be a download permission error? 🤷‍♀️ It might be worth creating a brand new user account on the Mac and setting up Xcode from scratch.

(OTOH it might just end up being something Apple fixes on the backend tomorrow...)

• Just been through this problem myself. Upgraded to the latest macOS and Xcode betas. Xcode was then able to show a more informative error message suggesting opening Xcode's Accounts pane in preferences then removing and re adding the Apple ID in question - which worked. It's worth trying this last step first.

Add a Comment

Updating the account information did not work out. What I've just noticed is that xcode is not able to download the symbols itself:

It remains at 0 kB. Which should indicate that apple has an issue with providing the correct symbols. Seems to be the same story ever and ever again.