Command Line Tools beta 3 for Xcode 14.1 available but no Xcode 14.1 installed

I'm running Monterey 12.6 on Intel and suddenly I get in Software Update the message "An update is available for your Mac - Command Line Tools beta 3 for Xcode 14.1" although I do not have installed any Xcode 14.1 beta version on this Mac.

Two questions:

• Does anyone know why this is happening in the first place?
  • Should I ignore this update or is it safe to proceed?
  • I'm also seeing this with the same setup (Monterey 12.6 on Intel i7, [13-in, 2018]. I haven't ever installed Beta anything and I'm not on a beta channel of any kind. I'm always very nervous about CLT updates because they cause me to have to recompile my other support apps (Ruby, for example,) sometimes and so I notice when I get a weird message like this.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

I've got the same prompt and found a file /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/.beta with the content of 1.

A colleague of mine doesn't have that file and he's not prompted to update to the beta, so ich renamed the file to .beta-backup and reloaded the system updates.

Success: the update to Xcode 14.1 beta 3 is gone :)!

• Thank you! This solved the problem for me as well.

• Thank you! Same problem on same system was solved for me as well with the above procedure. Not sure how the .beta file ended up in there.

• thank you this helped me the other way around I'm on Ventura beta and my system wouldn't install the CLT, I made the .beta file and the prompt showed up

Replies

Exact same situation. Commenting to be advised of an answer.

I've got the same prompt and found a file /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/.beta with the content of 1.

A colleague of mine doesn't have that file and he's not prompted to update to the beta, so ich renamed the file to .beta-backup and reloaded the system updates.

Success: the update to Xcode 14.1 beta 3 is gone :)!

• Thank you! This solved the problem for me as well.

• Thank you! Same problem on same system was solved for me as well with the above procedure. Not sure how the .beta file ended up in there.

• thank you this helped me the other way around I'm on Ventura beta and my system wouldn't install the CLT, I made the .beta file and the prompt showed up