Can I use CloudKit to had Apple Watch talk to an iPad Only app??

I have an app that is iPad only and I want to use icloud to have it talk to apple watch.

Is this possible ? Can any one can point me in the right direciton.

Replies

The Apple Watch can only pair with an iPhone, not an iPad. So there would be no way to install the watch app from an iPad-only app. The question of whether or not a native Watch app can access CloudKit is moot.

You need to install an app in the Apple Watch and then you need the app in the Apple Watch to find iCloud through a wireless netwrok. You can only install the app through an iPhone so it must be an iPhone app. While an app on an Apple Watch can communicate directly with a wireless network, the paired iPhone makes the connection to that wireless network.

All that said, it is possible to have two different apps connect to the same CloudKit database. So your iPad app can remain what it is and you can create a simpler new app that runs on an iPhone (and paired Apple Watch) and provides a connection to iCloud. The iPhone app doesn't need to do all the great things that your iPad app is doing (but why not?).