Cannot import tensorflow in Python3 in MacOS 12.6.1 on M1 Mac

I'm trying to use tensorflow per this tutorial for arm64 Apple Silicon: https://developer.apple.com/metal/tensorflow-plugin/

However, when I attempt to import tensorflow, I get this error:

RuntimeError Traceback (most recent call last) RuntimeError: module compiled against API version 0x10 but this version of numpy is 0xf Output exceeds the size limit. Open the full output data in a text editor

ImportError Traceback (most recent call last) ImportError: numpy.core.multiarray failed to import

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

SystemError Traceback (most recent call last) SystemError: <built-in method contains of dict object at 0x107c68040> returned a result with an error set

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

ImportError Traceback (most recent call last) Cell In [2], line 1 ----> 1 import tensorflow as tf

File ~/opt/miniconda3/envs/speaker_recognition/lib/python3.8/site-packages/tensorflow/init.py:37 34 import sys as _sys 35 import typing as _typing ---> 37 from tensorflow.python.tools import module_util as _module_util 38 from tensorflow.python.util.lazy_loader import LazyLoader as _LazyLoader 40 # Make sure code inside the TensorFlow codebase can use tf2.enabled() at import.

File ~/opt/miniconda3/envs/speaker_recognition/lib/python3.8/site-packages/tensorflow/python/init.py:37 29 # We aim to keep this file minimal and ideally remove completely. 30 # If you are adding a new file with @tf_export decorators, ... ---> 19 from tensorflow.python.client._pywrap_tf_session import * 20 from tensorflow.python.client._pywrap_tf_session import _TF_SetTarget 21 from tensorflow.python.client._pywrap_tf_session import _TF_SetConfig

ImportError: initialization failed

What else can I try to get tensorflow operational and using my M1's GPU?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of tambo Down vote post of tambo
2k views

Replies

Hi @tambo,

Please try updating numpy: pip3 install numpy --upgrade --ignore-installed

Aha! I'd been so close, but combining the upgrade and ignore-installed arguments was the missing piece! THANK YOU, Frameworks Engineer! Tensorflow now imports into my Python environment on my M1 Mac.