CIFilter documentation for CIMaximumComponent?

I am beginning to work in Core Image and applying some filters. Most that I have encountered are fairly easy to understand but a few are confusing me.

As I need a mono image I came across two: CIMaximumComponent and the corresponding CIMinimumComponent. There are others too but the description of these two is pretty sparse. Can someone expand just a little so I can understand the difference? It mentions max(r,g,b) and min of the same, what is the source of r,g,b and how is the result applied?

Accepted Reply

For Core Image documentation in general, I can recommend cifilter.io, though it does not list the newest filters. You can also check out the Filter Magic app, which lets you play with most CIFilters and has a lot of documentation.

As for CIMaximumComponent and CIMinimumComponent: They will take the max/min values of R, G, and B and return a pixel with all channels set to this value.

Some examples:

RGB(1.0, 0.0, 0.0) -> max: RGB(1.0, 1.0, 1.0) | min: RGB(0.0, 0.0, 0.0)
RGB(0.5, 0.7, 0.3) -> max: RGB(0.7, 0.7, 0.7) | min: RGB(0.3, 0.3, 0.3)

So yes, they turn the image into grayscale, but I might not be what you want since the value doesn't represent perceived lightness of the color.

You might want to check out CIPhotoEffectMono, CIPhotoEffectNoir, and CIPhotoEffectTonal for a more natural grayscale conversions.

• Thank you Very Much! I understand it now and have a better feeling on why the result looks like it does.

Also thanks for the app pointers.

Add a Comment

Replies

For Core Image documentation in general, I can recommend cifilter.io, though it does not list the newest filters. You can also check out the Filter Magic app, which lets you play with most CIFilters and has a lot of documentation.

As for CIMaximumComponent and CIMinimumComponent: They will take the max/min values of R, G, and B and return a pixel with all channels set to this value.

Some examples:

RGB(1.0, 0.0, 0.0) -> max: RGB(1.0, 1.0, 1.0) | min: RGB(0.0, 0.0, 0.0)
RGB(0.5, 0.7, 0.3) -> max: RGB(0.7, 0.7, 0.7) | min: RGB(0.3, 0.3, 0.3)

So yes, they turn the image into grayscale, but I might not be what you want since the value doesn't represent perceived lightness of the color.

You might want to check out CIPhotoEffectMono, CIPhotoEffectNoir, and CIPhotoEffectTonal for a more natural grayscale conversions.

• Thank you Very Much! I understand it now and have a better feeling on why the result looks like it does.

Also thanks for the app pointers.

Add a Comment