Can Our Taxi App Send User Location via WebSocket While Running in the Background?

For our taxi app, we need to continuously send the driver's location to the server every 5 seconds for accurate tracking. If the user switches to another app or puts the app in the background, can the location updates continue? Also, what happens if the screen is locked?

We haven't implemented it yet but if IOS does not support websockets in the background we might need to rewrite the existing backend.

Replies

The key issue here isn’t the networking, it’s keeping your app from being suspended. As long as your app is running in the background, it’ll be able to access the network just fine.

So, do you have an existing mechanism to keep your app running in the background?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• As I previously stated, we have not implemented anything about the background task. since we first want to know if it is even possible. I can't seem to find an exact answer on the internet. I also believe that if we could show an indicator similar to screen recording on iOS, we might be able to keep it running, but this is just my guess

• as I mentioned we have not implemented anything related to the background task, because we first want to know if it's actually possible or not I can't seem to find an exact answer on the internet. I also believe that if we could show an indicator similar to screen recording on iOS, we might be able to keep it running, but this is just a guess on my part.

Add a Comment