plugin targets missing from swift-format dependency

So I've added swift-format as one of my dependencies to my own swift package so that I can use their lint swift package plugin.

Here is my Package.swift:

// swift-tools-version: 5.7

// The swift-tools-version declares the minimum version of Swift required to build this package.

import PackageDescription

let package = Package(

name: "EssentialFeed",

platforms: [

.iOS(.v16),

.macOS(.v13),

.macCatalyst(.v16),

.tvOS(.v16),

.watchOS(.v9)

],

products: [

// Products define the executables and libraries a package produces, and make them visible to other packages.

.library(

targets: ["EssentialFeed"]),

.library(

name: "EssentialFeedTestHelpers",

targets: ["EssentialFeedTestHelpers"]),

],

dependencies: [

.package(url: "https://github.com/apple/swift-format", .upToNextMajor(from: "0.50700.1")),

],

targets: [

// Targets are the basic building blocks of a package. A target can define a module or a test suite.

// Targets can depend on other targets in this package, and on products in packages this package depends on.

.target(

dependencies: [],

plugins: [

.plugin(name: "LintPlugin", package: "swift-format"),

.plugin(name: "FormatPlugin", package: "swift-format"),

]

),

.target(

name: "EssentialFeedTestHelpers",

dependencies: []),

.testTarget(

name: "EssentialFeedTests",

dependencies: ["EssentialFeed", "EssentialFeedTestHelpers"]),

.testTarget(

name: "EssentialFeedAPIEndToEndTests",

dependencies: ["EssentialFeed", "EssentialFeedTestHelpers"]),

]

)

I get the following error when pulling this package:

product 'LintPlugin' required by package 'essentialfeed' target 'EssentialFeed' not found in package 'swift-format'.

But if you look at swift-format's Package.swift, you can see the plugins exist.

Accepted Reply

Looks like the reason this happens is because the swift-format team created a COMMAND plugin. Instead of a BUILD plugin.

If you right click on your package.swift file you should see an option in Xcode to run swift-format.

I really want to use the official tooling with my projects. But time after time, it just seems like apple does not care about swift tooling.

swift-format just seems to be a pain to work with. I can't even get it working with build phases. My script hits the line of code to trigger swift-format, but then nothing happens.

Going to switch to SwiftLint

Replies

Looks like the reason this happens is because the swift-format team created a COMMAND plugin. Instead of a BUILD plugin.

If you right click on your package.swift file you should see an option in Xcode to run swift-format.

I really want to use the official tooling with my projects. But time after time, it just seems like apple does not care about swift tooling.

swift-format just seems to be a pain to work with. I can't even get it working with build phases. My script hits the line of code to trigger swift-format, but then nothing happens.

Going to switch to SwiftLint