In iOS 16.4., Exif latitude and longitude information cannot be acquired when importing image data in the browser.

On iOS 16.4. when I try to import a jpeg image that has Exif with latitude and longitude in the selection screen from a browser (Safari, Chrome...), the latitude and longitude information is missing. When trying to import an image into the browser from the selection screen of a browser (Safari, Chrome...), the latitude and longitude are missing (other Exif information is still present). (The other Exif information is still there.) I have confirmed that the latitude and longitude information remains in iOS 16.3, so I believe this is due to the upgrade. Does anyone have a solution for this?

To add, we have confirmed that the latitude and longitude information has been missing for some time for images with a .heic extension, but there was no problem before for .jpeg images.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of T-aku Down vote post of T-aku
1.4k views
  • Additional: using share from the Photos app to Google Drive still retains all of the location data, including lat, lon, alt, compass, and orientation. I haven't been able to find a setting that affects the behavior. Settings under Privacy & Security -> Camera -> (apps) gives a preamble about "may contain other information such as where and when...", and you can turn certain apps on or off. "Google" is a choice, as is "gmail", but toggling off/on has not effect on Chrome uploads.

Add a Comment

Replies

Same problem has occurred. our many customers are in trouble and confused. Does anyone have a solution?

FYI, I have reported the same issue on the WebKit bug tracker:

https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=257534

This has been fixed in IOS 17.0. I installed and tested the beta version and was able to get latitude and longitude information on the web.