Distribute network and endpoint system extensions through Mac App Store?

IIRC, when Apple introduced the new Network Extension and Endpoint Security system extension architectures, apps with Network Extensions in their bundle had to be distributed through the Mac App Store, whereas apps with Endpoint Security extensions could not be distributed through the Mac App Store (or vice versa).

I can no longer find language on such restrictions.

Can I distribute an app with both a Network Extension and an Endpoint Security extension in the same app bundle via the Mac App Store?

Accepted Reply

IIRC, when Apple introduced the new Network Extension and Endpoint Security system extension architectures, apps with Network Extensions in their bundle had to be distributed through the Mac App Store, whereas apps with Endpoint Security extensions could not

Not quite. If you change “had to” to “may”, that matches my understanding of the situation. That is:

• An NE sysex can be distributed via the Mac App Store or independently, using Developer ID signing.

• An ES sysex can only be distributed independently.

The NE side of this is covered by TN3134 Network Extension provider deployment. I’m not sure if we ever officially published info about the ES side.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Thanks. Bummer about ES sysex having to be deployed independently. I really like the Mac App Store for a variety of reasons, including for software updates. Now, I will have to investigate Sparkle or other software update mechanisms.

Add a Comment

Replies

IIRC, when Apple introduced the new Network Extension and Endpoint Security system extension architectures, apps with Network Extensions in their bundle had to be distributed through the Mac App Store, whereas apps with Endpoint Security extensions could not

Not quite. If you change “had to” to “may”, that matches my understanding of the situation. That is:

• An NE sysex can be distributed via the Mac App Store or independently, using Developer ID signing.

• An ES sysex can only be distributed independently.

The NE side of this is covered by TN3134 Network Extension provider deployment. I’m not sure if we ever officially published info about the ES side.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Thanks. Bummer about ES sysex having to be deployed independently. I really like the Mac App Store for a variety of reasons, including for software updates. Now, I will have to investigate Sparkle or other software update mechanisms.

Add a Comment